Is there a "set weight" for people?

Options
Seems no matter what I do short of starving myself, I cannot seem to get under a certain weight. I eat well, most of the time, I don't drink and I work out almost daily. I do stick to or under my calories regularly. I have read that people have a "set weight". The weight that they body is comfortable at and it will stay there unless you take extreme measures, i.e.: starve yourself, ...
Any truth to this?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    flippy1234 wrote: »
    No, we don't.

If we did, the people in concentration camps wouldn't have looked like skeletons.

I suggest getting a food scale, and weighing and logging everything that passes your lips.

Check out this thread and especially @sarahlucindac's comments on page 13...

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10634517/you-dont-use-a-food-scale/p1

I get that, as I said, short of starving myself which I have not done. I just mean eating well, logging calories and exercising. I just cannot seem to get past a certain weight.

If you're already in a healthy weight range, it can often take more patience and accuracy to lose weight. If you aren't already using a food scale, it may be time to consider it.
  • Zodikosis
    Zodikosis Posts: 149 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    flippy1234 wrote: »
    No, we don't.

If we did, the people in concentration camps wouldn't have looked like skeletons.

I suggest getting a food scale, and weighing and logging everything that passes your lips.

Check out this thread and especially @sarahlucindac's comments on page 13...

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10634517/you-dont-use-a-food-scale/p1

I get that, as I said, short of starving myself which I have not done. I just mean eating well, logging calories and exercising. I just cannot seem to get past a certain weight.

How long have you been doing this? The scale itself will not show linear progress. In a given month, my weight can fluctuate from my actual weight to up 3-5 lbs, usually due to hormones, alcohol, salt affecting how much water I'm retaining. The closer you are to lean, the less linear this progress will appear on the scale, and the slower the rate of loss is.
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Thank you all very much. Food scale it is! I don't usually use one but I have one. Funny thing, I weighed my cooked turkey last night...turned out I was going to eat too little. I am trying to eye things based on what I have learned...ie: serving of chicken is palm of my hand, vegetables a fist, etc...
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I think that if there was a "set point" to weight, it would be a weight it was difficult to go over, too, not just under. I think the explanation is really simple - for most people, today, it's easy to eat too much, and it takes a conscious effort to eat less. Are you at a healthy weight? "Eat well, most of the time, don't drink, work out almost daily, stick to or under calories regularly" isn't good enough when it comes to weight management, because weight loss, gain and maintenance is all about calories over time. Your phrasing betrays your subconscious mind: "I weighed my cooked turkey last night...turned out I was going to eat too little" - are you looking to validate your assumption you're almost starving youself (to justify eating more)? If you're not nearing underweight, you're not almost starving yourself, it's all about perception and attitude, habits and preferences, which are part instinct, but also learned, to a large extent.

"Palm of hand", "fist", "hockey puck" etc as measurements for food portions is a pointless game without the proper context. Not because they're inaccurate measurements - nutrition for healthy adults doesn't require a high degree of precision - but because you would also have to remember how many servings of each food you're allowed for a day, and how many of each you've eaten, and the rules have to be learned and differentiated and memorized, and still, you have to stop when you've had enough, which is the real challenge.

In the context "I'm using a food scale", "serving size" is practically redundant.

No, I am not looking to validate starving myself. I am merely saying that I am having a difficult time reaching my goal weight as no matter what I seem to do, I stay around the same weight day in and day out. Do I use a food scale? No i do not, and when I have, just to see if I am on track, I find that my portions are actually lower than i thought they were. I measure my food and log according to MFP. I also do not eat back my exercise calories. I do not believe in "starvation mode" either. I asked a question...is a "set weight" something that exists. I read that it does. I am hearing here that it does not.