Protein in urine?

Options
Has anyone had a problem with traces of protein in urine?
I bought one of those urinalysis strips and it shows traces of protein being spilled.
I would say my daily protein intake a day is low at about 50grams, maybe even lower than that.

Replies

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    This sounds like something you'd want to discuss with your doctor.

Seconding. It can have many causes so a doctor would be able to diagnose with other tests: https://www.mayoclinic.org/symptoms/protein-in-urine/basics/causes/sym-20050656
  • emmanuelochoa91
    emmanuelochoa91 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the insight guys
    I did just have a physical but my doc said it was only a trace. She told me to fix my diet and eat better
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    I did just have a physical but my doc said it was only a trace. She told me to fix my diet and eat better

Hopefully, your doctor included an explanation of the cause, and specifics about what "fix [your] diet and eat better" actually means. If not, request that information from her.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Maxxitt wrote: »

Hopefully, your doctor included an explanation of the cause, and specifics about what "fix [your] diet and eat better" actually means. If not, request that information from her.

This.

Well, if my doctor -- who has all the information about my health history -- wasn't worried about it, I wouldn't worry either.

Doctors are human and can overlook things. If it wasn't for me questioning my doctors advice, I wouldn't be alive. One should always be on the same page with there treatment and not worry if it's a health issue you don't understand.
  • 0nmiwei
    0nmiwei Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    are you drinking enough water? It can sometimes mean dehydration. Still a discussion it more with your doctor.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »

Well, if my doctor -- who has all the information about my health history -- wasn't worried about it, I wouldn't worry either.

Doctors are human and can overlook things. If it wasn't for me questioning my doctors advice, I wouldn't be alive. One should always be on the same page with there treatment and not worry if it's a health issue you don't understand.

I agree that doctors are humans and that one should have a good relationship with their healthcare providers. That, however, is different than trying to use the internet as your second opinion as opposed to a doctor.

And yes, I have gotten second opinions before (it's why I can do high impact activities actually) and have fired many a therapist, though that's a bit different and more about fit than knowledge in a lot of cases.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Listen to your doctor or get a second opinion from another qualified medical professional.

BTW--protein in urine isn't usually related to dietary intake unless you've done kidney damage with said diet.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Yes you will need extensive urinalyisis panel by your doctor.
    Diabetes that is not controlled can give you a higher protein reading in urine.