Cramps! (the muscle kind)

Options
I've just started exercising again. This morning, I was gently stretching my calf when it went haywire and cramped up like nobody's business (*kitten*, that hurts!). I still can't point my toes for fear that'll cramp it up again.

Is there something I should be doing, or should have done, to keep this from happening? Thanks.

Replies

• ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    + possibly magnesium to the previous list.
  • alicebhsia1
    alicebhsia1 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    stay well hydrated
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Don't fight the cramp. Let it do it's thing, relax the rest of your body to the extent possible, and let it come back around. I find this helps it find its way out and not persist. If I try to fight it or forcibly stretch out of, it gets worse.
  • Evelyn_Gorfram
    Evelyn_Gorfram Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much, everyone. Good points about the micronutrients - I could easily be low on potassium and magnesium.
  • Evelyn_Gorfram
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Don't fight the cramp. Let it do it's thing, relax the rest of your body to the extent possible, and let it come back around. I find this helps it find its way out and not persist. If I try to fight it or forcibly stretch out of, it gets worse.
    Thanks, I'll try to do that. I usually just curl up in pain while desperately trying to remember which way not to flex to avoid making it worse.

• AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    Potassium for sure. I was told have someone pull on it like it's in traction. My husband gets these and I've done that to help it and it works
  • HBMairi
    HBMairi Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Keep hydrated, and try eating a banana, it has potassium in it and helps. I used to do a lot of swimming and would get the worst cramps ever, started eating a banana beforehand,... no more cramps
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    + possibly magnesium to the previous list.

I knew I was forgetting one, and could not think of what it was! Thanks!
  • HermanLily
    HermanLily Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Pickle juice
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    For me it was 100% magnesium.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    If it's your calf, you can stand up and put weight on that leg. It will stop it. I didn't think there's a reason to suffer through that excruciating pain. Sometimes grabbing onto the cramping muscle and squeezing really hard helos, but not always. Magnesium and potassium for sure.
    ETA: it's going to be sore for a bit, depending on the severity, could be a couple of days. Stretch and massage it few times a day. It should be a good preventative measure too.
  • Evelyn_Gorfram
    Options
    HermanLily wrote: »
    Pickle juice
    Um, really? I can't tell if you're being serious or not.

• JessAndreia
    JessAndreia Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Agree with the banana advice. I used to have leg or foot cramps often. Started eating a banana (nearly) every day; rarely have them now.
  • 2bassets
    2bassets Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    My doctor recommended drinking Tonic water with quinine. It has worked great!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Pickle juice

They're serious.
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Pickle juice

Yes, pickles juice works if you're lacking sodium, but if you're lacking the other electrolytes, it won't help at all. I do carry pickles on long runs though, they really do help.
  • Evelyn_Gorfram
    Options
    Pickle juice

They're serious.
    VioletRojo wrote: »
    Pickle juice

Yes, pickles juice works if you're lacking sodium, but if you're lacking the other electrolytes, it won't help at all. I do carry pickles on long runs though, they really do help.
    Thanks.

My aunt once told my sister to drink the juice remaining in a pickle-less pickle jar, as a joke; and my sister out-joked her by pretending to take her seriously and draining the jar; much to my aunt's chagrin until she realized that my sister had done it just to put her on the spot over her own joke. The point being that my judgement regarding the reasonability of pickle juice consumption has apparently been distorted for life. :)
  • Evelyn_Gorfram
    Options
    2bassets wrote: »
    My doctor recommended drinking Tonic water with quinine. It has worked great!
    That's interesting. I looked it up and apparently it's also helpful for restless leg syndrome, which is sometimes a big problem for me. I'll give it try. :)