weight lifting and protein shake?

Options
Hi all. For those of you that lift weights, do you take protein shake before, during or after a workout? How much protein do you consume? My trainer said to drink the protein shake after the workout. Just seeing what others do and why. Thanks.

Replies

• dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter when you eat the protein as long as you eat it. I usually eat before I lift to have something in my system and have a shake right after as I am knackered from the workout. I do it purely for the convenience of an easy meal afterwards, nothing more. 150-200+ g per day depending on soreness.
  • Tic78
    Tic78 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I have a protein shake with water before the gym as I go first thing in the morning. Soon as I finish I have another one blended with oats, banana and egg whites. I also have a protein bar with my second shake. Rest of the day I generally get my protein from food. I think it’s just what you prefer. I’m on a cut just now down to 165lbs and consume about 175-200g protein per day. Mainly because I prefer protein.
  • 4Pop
    4Pop Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Another "none". I just finished breakfast an hour or so after this AMs workout. 4 slices of thick bacon, 3 fried (whole) eggs, and 1/2 c oats. This is a pretty regular breakfast for me, w/o or not.

Anybody can become a "trainer". Keep that in mind when hiring and taking advice from one.
  • JorrunFulhelm
    JorrunFulhelm Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I don't "time" my protein around my workouts, I time my carbs around workouts. As long as you are hitting your protein goals for the day then you should be fine. What are your stats? Is there any other reason (other than what your trainer told you) that feel you should have a more timed approach to your protein intake?
  • Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I generally drink a protein shake for breakfast and work out in the evenings. I do it this way to space out my protein consumption between meals to better hit my daily protein goal and I find it helps keep me from snacking before lunch (to help limit calories).
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Nvm
  • librarian11111
    librarian11111 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    JorrunFulhelm: you asked what my stats are. Today I rode the exercise bike for 40 minutes and lifted weights for anout 25 minutes (rear delt; back extension; leg curl; overhead press.) I guess I'm concerned about the timing of consuming the shake as I generally drink water every 15 to 20 minutes while exercising (and i pour yhe protein in my water bottle before i workout-though i guess i could change that routine.. My trainer said to consume the protein after the workout. I can't not drink water until my hour long workout is over.
  • jaxsmama123
    jaxsmama123 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I personally consume my protein shake after my workout, which is during my lunch break at work, so I eat my food after the gym which is around 1:30 or so
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    Options
    I was suggested by a trainer to take Creatine before workout and then protein after.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    JorrunFulhelm: you asked what my stats are. Today I rode the exercise bike for 40 minutes and lifted weights for anout 25 minutes (rear delt; back extension; leg curl; overhead press.) I guess I'm concerned about the timing of consuming the shake as I generally drink water every 15 to 20 minutes while exercising (and i pour yhe protein in my water bottle before i workout-though i guess i could change that routine.. My trainer said to consume the protein after the workout. I can't not drink water until my hour long workout is over.

The timing doesn't matter. What matters is getting adequate protein throughout the day on an ongoing basis.

If you want to drink the shake after your workout, it's not going to hurt anything. I often drink a protein shake after my workouts. If you want to drink it before your workout, that's fine too. If you want to drink it during your workout, that's not going to hurt anything either.

Done all of the above and, unless you are among the 1% to 2% of elite athletes with superior training and genetics, as Bob "Bobcat" Golthwait would say, IT DON'T MATTER!!
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    vanityy99 wrote: »
    I was suggested by a trainer to take Creatine before workout and then protein after.

It doesn't matter when you take either of those things. Creatine's effects are chronic rather than acute (i.e., when your system is saturated with creatine), so the timing of it is completely irrelevant as long as you're taking it on a daily basis for a prolonged period. Protein timing has already been addressed.

There are a lot of trainers who have their degree in broscience and just parrot what they've heard from other bros without bothering to do any research and see whether it's true or not.

I’m going to tell him that 🤓🤣