Logging meals ahead of time

Anybody else find it helpful to enter what your lunch or dinner will be once you know? I find it helpful. Example, if I had breakfast then enter my lunch and dinner guesses and I know I only have a 200 calorie wiggle room... much easier to say no to bad snacks and is a boost to my gym or walk motivation.

Replies

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Yeah, I do it on the reg so I can have some wiggle room for candy since the Halloween candy is already coming into the office, or I can bank it for something on the weekend.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    I typically log my whole day of food before I eat breakfast.
    I eat the same amount of calories for each meal every day so even if I did not log in advance I would know I have 100-300 calories for snacks.
  • ewhall46
    ewhall46 Posts: 15 Member
    Just started doing this today! B) Pre-logged expected intake. Easier to edit, than to start from scratch. Gives me direction. Loving it. <3 Btw, my calendar is public, but it's not super aggressive. Feedback is welcomed at any time. Thanks.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited September 2018
    I log my entire day before breakfast. It gives me an idea if I can have any of the birthday cake that was brought into the office (or whatever). Sometimes yes, sometimes no.
  • Yes I try to do this everyday! It helps me make better choices so that I don’t blow my goal completely out of the water!
  • unigirl143
    unigirl143 Posts: 126 Member
    I pre log almost all of the time. It helps me to plan ahead what I am eating so when I am rushing around I at least have one thing under control. :p
  • 883xlsportster
    883xlsportster Posts: 221 Member
    I eat the same thing on a weekly schedule. I tracked it here when I started. Once I got the calories about where I wanted them I stopped logging. If I venture outside my diet with odd meal I don't bother logging it as it will autocorrect over the long haul. The food does get a little mundane at first but the time it saves from logging is time better spent IMO.
  • kellsey4955
    kellsey4955 Posts: 19 Member
    I always do it as it helps me to plan 👍🏻
  • admaarie
    admaarie Posts: 4,297 Member
    I always pre log the night before or the morning of, especially when going out to eat. That way I can semi stick to my plan (still find it important to be flexible) & have an idea of what I should eat around that to fit my goals.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Anybody else find it helpful to enter what your lunch or dinner will be once you know? I find it helpful. Example, if I had breakfast then enter my lunch and dinner guesses and I know I only have a 200 calorie wiggle room... much easier to say no to bad snacks and is a boost to my gym or walk motivation.

Yep. I log dinner (usually my biggest meal of the day) before I even make it. I log the most I think I'll eat, and that gives me an idea of what to stick to for lunch and snacks. If I eat less than anticipated, I know that I can have an evening snack. It's just easier for me to pre-log my biggest meal of the day and adjust the rest of my day accordingly.
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    I prelog meals where I can, mainly to see if I can fit in treats hehehehe
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    I usually log a week in advance and then adjust quantities as needed. I need to be organized and having things planned ahead means less grocery store stops, less having to make decisions in the morning, etc.

• Millicent3015
    Millicent3015 Posts: 374 Member
    I log a day or three in advance. I'd really like to build up to prelogging a week in advance, but I'm not that organised yet. I also use a shopping list app with a pantry option, so I've listed what I have in the house and that helps me plan meals around fresh food and leftovers I need to use up.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    I meal prep and prelog, so I at least know what my breakfast/lunch calories are so I know how much I can spend on dinner/dessert.
  • PennyP312
    PennyP312 Posts: 161 Member
    I do this every weekday. I plan all of our dinners on the weekend and generally have the same lunches and breakfasts most days. I log my 3 main meals as I’m sipping my morning coffee and it allows me to see how many treats I get for the day!