Keto energy slump

Options
Keto peeps, I am little over a month into keto. The first couple of weeks, I had a burst of energy that I never experienced before. I was all over the place and able to do anything. I was cooking all day, cleaning all day, etc. Now, that burst of energy is gone for some reason. I have no motivation to do anything anymore. I am strict keto and have not wavered at all from the diet, I take both a multivitamin and magnesium at night, I add potassium salt to every bottle of water I drink through the day, and I follow the exact same routine that I had when I was bursting with energy. Has anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions for what is going on or what I need to be doing?

Replies

• happytree923
    happytree923 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    The problem is you're not eating carbs which is a much more readily available energy source for your body. Maybe try regular low carb instead of strict keto.

Keto is not about not eating carbs, although some people do follow keto taking in no carbs. I am not one of them. I am getting the required amount of carbs a day per my macro count. 5% carbs, 70% fat, and 25% protein.

5% carbs is nothing which is why it is not enough to keep your body out of ketosis. Keto wouldn't be keto if you could get all the energy you need from 5% carbohydrate. My post probably should have said almost no carbs but I had the exact same experience when I was trying low carb.
  • Strawberrygrl
    Strawberrygrl Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    Some that go on keto discover they are creating too big a deficit.

So just like any other diet that could cause just fat loss - bigger is not always better - and body adapts to bigger than it wants by slowing you down so you burn less. Which obviously makes the deficit smaller.

If that's not enough adapting to limit a crazy situation, that's where the hair can start falling out, nails get brittle and stop growing, skin replacement slows and gets bad, ect.

So just because a diet can make it easier to adhere and not feel hungry, doesn't mean you shouldn't be eating enough.

Just as you can have vitamin & mineral deficiency at a level that causes harm but may take a bit of time to show up - so also with calorie deficiency.

I mention this because you didn't share any details regarding calorie burning or eating level - so it may not have come to mind, thinking it's only related to keto aspect of diet.

Because no, I didn't experience that.
    Actually, I'm odd ball because I can go into keto without having brain fog either for period of time.

I don't really exercise, so as far as burning calories due to exercise, there is no burning of calories that I record on my food log to deduct from my macros. I follow my macros as closely as possible each day in my log. I am within my calorie range since MFP does not allow logging when you are under 1000 calories (I usually stay within the lower range of what MFP gives me to fulfill my calories), and I usually stay within 10 g of both my fat and protein but I almost always stay under my macros. There are days when I reach my max amount or go over a gram or two, but most often it stays within 10 g of reaching max amount.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I can't remember where I saw it but is it not correct that carbs are something the body can do without completely? I don't do this and obviously you would need to replace those calories. I am asking this not telling this.
  • Strawberrygrl
    edited September 2018
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    I can't remember where I saw it but is it not correct that carbs are something the body can do without completely? I don't do this and obviously you would need to replace those calories. I am asking this not telling this.

I don't know of anyone that does this, but I believe this is true because I have read that some people are able to do a no carb diet and be fine. Ketosis is where the body grabs fat for fuel. No carbs means that it grabs the fats instead that are taken in and stored instead of immediately using the carbs that enter the body. Either way, the body gets energy. Fat is the backup source when carbs are not taken in.
  • Strawberrygrl
    Options
    Because carbs = energy?!?

The sugars get absorbed and used as energy. Correct.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options

So just like any other diet that could cause just fat loss - bigger is not always better - and body adapts to bigger than it wants by slowing you down so you burn less. Which obviously makes the deficit smaller.

If that's not enough adapting to limit a crazy situation, that's where the hair can start falling out, nails get brittle and stop growing, skin replacement slows and gets bad, ect.

So just because a diet can make it easier to adhere and not feel hungry, doesn't mean you shouldn't be eating enough.

Just as you can have vitamin & mineral deficiency at a level that causes harm but may take a bit of time to show up - so also with calorie deficiency.

I mention this because you didn't share any details regarding calorie burning or eating level - so it may not have come to mind, thinking it's only related to keto aspect of diet.

Actually, I'm odd ball because I can go into keto without having brain fog either for period of time.

I don't really exercise, so as far as burning calories due to exercise, there is no burning of calories that I record on my food log to deduct from my macros. I follow my macros as closely as possible each day in my log. I am within my calorie range since MFP does not allow logging when you are under 1000 calories (I usually stay within the lower range of what MFP gives me to fulfill my calories), and I usually stay within 10 g of both my fat and protein but I almost always stay under my macros. There are days when I reach my max amount or go over a gram or two, but most often it stays within 10 g of reaching max amount.

There is a max amount of carbs because of keto but not a max amount of protein or fat for most people (people without certain medical problems).

What is your age, current weight, goal weight, gender, height, and activity level? What other benefits are you getting from Keto that are worth the energy slump if it persists?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

It's possible you're undereating, which can cause fatigue regardless of macro distribution.

What is your height and weight, and about how many calories are you averaging per day? How much weight have you lost since you started keto?