Cardio before or after heavy lifting?

Options
2»

Replies

• Jacqson84
    Jacqson84 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Roger that! However, some of us don't have the time for the good ol' run in the morning.
  • missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    JMO: I lift then i do cardio. When i want to do alot of cardio i do it on my non-lifting day. on my leg day i do stairmaster on my arm day i do stair master. on off day i do HIIT treadmill.
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options
    I do a five minute walk on the treadmill before I lift because I've either gone to the gym straight out of bed in the morning or I'm going right from work where I've been sitting on my *kitten* all day. After I lift I do anywhere from 10 - 15 minutes of cardio. Usually the bike or walking on an incline. I have a hard time doing cardio and lifting on separate days. If I'm at the gym I want to lift so the cardio usually suffers.
  • Fitwam
    Fitwam Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Here is my question for y'all....
    So I am just joined working with a trainer. this is after I have completed the Jamie Eason's 12 week livefit trainer off bodybuilding website. However during that 12 week period...never felt like I could really push myself with the weights. my gym was not conducive to heavy lifting...no cage, no spotters, etc.
    Hence the trainer. After first time with him...love that I Have a spotter. Love that I have someone watching my form.
    But I still need to lose about 15 lbs. So I got the Focus T25 off beachbody for the cardio portion.

All that background to say...do I do the T25 everyday (basically 25 minutes of push and play) like recommended. Or just do cardio on my off days of lifting to get the results I want? Lose weight and gain strength?
  • ghostrider1970
    ghostrider1970 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Roger that! However, some of us don't have the time for the good ol' run in the morning.

I wake up early to have thentime for cardio :smile:
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Cardio after weight lifting has no negative effect on muscle building. If you do cardio directly after weight lifting it actually increases fat oxidation which is a good thing. If your goals are strenght/muscl oriented, always do cardio after. If your goal is to run a marathon, maybe do cardio before, or don't weight lift at all...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    cardio doesnt burn muscle. going into extreme calorie deficit burns muscle.
    THIS. However I would do lifting before cardio because I'd want to use glycogen more efficiently. BTW OP, trying to lose weight and build muscle at the same time is near improbable. Pick one or the other for better results.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • rlinaresv
    rlinaresv Posts: 108
    Options
    Bump
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Cardio AFTER lifting. NEVER before. However, the best time to perform cardio is on an "off day" from lifting

^^^THIS

On leg day I will warm up with 10 minutes on the elliptical, but nothing crazy.

On days I am not doing weights (or occasionally after a shoulder/arm day), I will do HIIT for 20 minutes. I do this twice a week. That is all.