Rotator cuff tear

Options
What we were treating as an impingment has now been confirmed as a rotator cuff tear. The tendon has a tear that is greater than 50%. I seem my physio tomorrow to see what treatment he suggests. My Dr didn't want to suggest surgery unless its really necessary and I'm happy about that.

Anyone had this? Have any good stories of healing in a month??? :)

Replies

• kristingjertsen
    kristingjertsen Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Healing yes, but not in a month. Slow and steady like the tortoise. Your PT will set the pace, best advice I can give you is to be the star patient who always does the Home Exercise Program the PT gives out. I hope you are able to avoid surgery, but if you end up needing it then do it. The internal joint derangement due to muscular imbalances after the tear can really damage your shoulder and sometimes surgery is the only way to fix the problem. Not a fun surgery or rehab, but worth it in the end. Speaking from experience.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info. It's been bothering me for a year and really off and on for several years. At least we know for sure right. Now to get it healed.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    AliNouveau wrote: »
    What we were treating as an impingment has now been confirmed as a rotator cuff tear. The tendon has a tear that is greater than 50%. I seem my physio tomorrow to see what treatment he suggests. My Dr didn't want to suggest surgery unless its really necessary and I'm happy about that.

It's going to be way longer than a month with or without surgery. I didn't tear mine, but I badly sprained both of mine in a cycling accident and did PT for a month before being sent home to continue on my own. After about 3 months, normal daily activities felt ok, and I started back in the gym with some limitations and very light weight. I wasn't "normal" for about a year and even now I have issues with certain movements...ie I can't do barbell bench without pain so I stick to dumbbells.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options

I've read literature that suggests most people at least older variety( believe near 40s and above) have had a rotator cuff tear to a degree (lower than yours) or other tears in their knee ligaments. The kick is, they didn't find out until MRI's were ordered for pain that may or may not have had anything to with the pain.

My experience was strength training was a sucessful dosage to help repair.

I don't know many people who opt'd for surgery, but I have heard quite often from the people who did experienced a retear for several reasons.
  • AliNouveau
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

It's going to be way longer than a month with or without surgery. I didn't tear mine, but I badly sprained both of mine in a cycling accident and did PT for a month before being sent home to continue on my own. After about 3 months, normal daily activities felt ok, and I started back in the gym with some limitations and very light weight. I wasn't "normal" for about a year and even now I have issues with certain movements...ie I can't do barbell bench without pain so I stick to dumbbells.

Ya I know it will be more. It's wishful thinking since I wanted it healthy for stuff in a month. I've let this happen over a few years it's gonna take time unfortunately
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Healing yes, but not in a month.

Same here.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Ya I know it will be more. It's wishful thinking since I wanted it healthy for stuff in a month. I've let this happen over a few years it's gonna take time unfortunately

It's a nasty injury, and unfortunately a very slow one to heal.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Sorry. No such thing as healing in a month w/a rotator cuff tear.

I've had 2 rotator cuff surgeries. 1 in each shoulder 4 different reasons. Min 3 months to get out of the sling and to complete PT. 6 months to get back to pretty much normal. 1 yr for full recovery.

No way to fix a tear w/o surgery.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I would listen to your doctor and physical therapist, if their credentials are passing your tests. If dr doesn't think you are a good candidate for surgery or you don't need one, than do the exercise program that your PT is giving you. You can always go get a second opinion, and make your decision based on what you learn. I know a few people who had surgery, and it helped. It's a long painful recovery though, someone tried pt and that didn't work, do ended up having surgery. You can't rely on us here, your doctor is the person to address your concerns and make a plan. Good luck
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    When I had one shoulder scoped, the doctor found lots of scar tissue from various tears I had let heal over the years I had 2 tears that he repaired - one 60%, one 80%. I have something going on in the other one now and I have been avoiding having it looked at for several months and it hasn't gotten better. I really don't want the downtime if I can avoid it.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I had a rotator cuff impingement and tear a long time ago. Had numerous trips to a sleazy physio therapist and loads injection of therapy. Took about 4-5 months until I was remotely able to use it normally.

The scar tissue pinches sometimes, so I know intuitively to give my shoulder a break. No lifting especially. Currently using non-thermal ultrasound treatments to break up scar tissue. It was easier using Exogen to heal my broken bones.

Hugs Ali. One month is a no can do. It may start to feel better, it's not.
  • AliNouveau
    Options
    Thanks all. I'm just far too busy to have an injury. My curling starts in a month so I kinda want to be able to do that since I've committed to a few teams. It's jury frustrating. I'm an active, impatient person. I don't like slowing down
  • 777Gemma888
    Options
    Thanks all. I'm just far too busy to have an injury. My curling starts in a month so I kinda want to be able to do that since I've committed to a few teams. It's jury frustrating. I'm an active, impatient person. I don't like slowing down

Could you somehow use the other arm as your lead push off arm? At least until you give that arm time to heal a little.

You could always ask Lee to send you some of his Dad's secret goop.
  • AliNouveau
    Options

Could you somehow use the other arm as your lead push off arm? At least until you give that arm time to heal a little.

Haha secret goop would be awesome. I'm sure I'll be able to figure it out. It I have to take a year off so be it. Gotta look after these old bones
  • 777Gemma888
    Options

Haha secret goop would be awesome. I'm sure I'll be able to figure it out. It I have to take a year off so be it. Gotta look after these old bones

Yes!! After all that you do Ali, your bones deserve some TLC. Overdue! Hugs.
  • blobby10
    blobby10 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    My dad had a RC repair 5 years ago (he was 68!) and it took a long time to heal - 3 months in sling, about 6 months of weekly physio (he went private) until he got most strength back. Also had frozen shoulder and had to have another GA to release it. He also discovered that his other RC was badly damaged too but after the pain and discomfort and inconvenience of the recovery for the first one he's decided to live with the weakness in his other arm. He did say that if he was 20 years younger he would have had them both done!
  • AliNouveau
    Options
    Next up is an mri. My physio guy said since I still have ok strength and range of motion a surgeon would probably make me wait since it's really just affecting my ability to do the sports I like