Vegan advice

Options
2»

Replies

• YourJuneInJan
    YourJuneInJan Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    To add to the chocolate suggestion - i buy Cacao Powder! 🌰

(Can put in smoothies, oatmeal, protein shakes, milk)
  • amyjoan1
    amyjoan1 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I was just recently thinking how can I add chocolate just a little into my daily intake( especially since I was told to only eat chocolate in moderation bc kidney stones!) I was thinking maybe cocoa powder. In the past I’ve had cacao and it felt like I drank a cup of coffee. Does that happen with cocao? Or depending on how much you take? But another option since I do crave chocolate
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    OP - a tool I’ve found helpful is The Daily Dozen app. It suggests the proper balance of fruit, veg, beans, nuts seeds, etc and gives a list of foods and serving sizes for each. Another good one is Cronometer that let’s you track nutrients so you can see where you are deficient. And perhaps kill some of those cravings.

For example, it became evident that I wasn’t getting any selenium. Solution ONE Brazil nut per day. Just one.
  • JessAndreia
    JessAndreia Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    amyjoan1 wrote: »
    I was just recently thinking how can I add chocolate just a little into my daily intake( especially since I was told to only eat chocolate in moderation bc kidney stones!) I was thinking maybe cocoa powder. In the past I’ve had cacao and it felt like I drank a cup of coffee. Does that happen with cocao? Or depending on how much you take? But another option since I do crave chocolate
    Can you eat a small piece of dark chocolate?
    Just look at the ingredients as some still have dairy in them. If you don't like dark chocolate, Enjoy Life brand has rice milk chocolate.
  • bpeters1989
    bpeters1989 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hi Im Beth! I have been vegetarian for almost 2 weeks and mostly vegan. I did realize a meal I ate contained eggs and milk and some of the treats i had lately contained milk and eggs. But I want to eat full vegan as much as possible. I don't plan on eating any meat any more since watching videos and reading books on animal factories and treatment as well as the affects of dairy. Anyways want to be friends? Any vegans or vegetarians can add me :)
  • Ander447
    Ander447 Posts: 2 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Thug Kitchen and Happy Herbivore are great resources for tasty tasty recipes. Thug Kitchen has salty language, so if that offends you, then it's probably not for you. But their recipes are so good.
  • amyjoan1
    Options
    Sounds good thx! I do have to get some tests so I can see what I am deficient in and what I should be avoiding as far as for my kidneys. And yes I do like dark chocolate and have tried the Go Raw cacao squares. But really interesting that there’s apps that can tell you what nutrients you’re not getting enough of. I’m going to check that out. And I love watching hearing recipes and learning what and how others eat. I’ve been using a lot more herbs and spices and plan on trying more! Using more turmeric and curry wich I never used before and plan on trying more to spice up my veggies!
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    @amyjoan1 you might have seen my other post. But I had a wonderful experience at a functional medicine doctor that ran all my tests and helped me dial in my nutrition. I only have one kidney, another reason I stay somewhat low on protein and avoid animal products.
  • amyjoan1
    Options
    Thank you yes I appreciate the advice. I am going to be taking a test for my dr to let me know what foods I’m eating that could not be good for my kidneys and all that. But yes it is something I want to stay on top of as far as any deficiencies or what I need to maybe slow down on or incorporate!