Don't eat that!!

Options
I am amused by threads that say eating <insert and food here> in the <insert any time here> is good/bad for you.

There are really only two considerations.

First is CICO. As long as you are eating less calories than you are expending you will lose weight over the long term. There are no if’s and's or buts involved.

The second is ensuring that the calories that you take in provide all the essentials for good health. The human body cannot produce all the proteins needed for proper health so you have to ingest them Meats and dairy generally are full sources of the essential proteins, most vegetables and plant sources are not so you have to be careful to eat a variety of plants to make the necessary mix of proteins that your body needs.

Generally for healthy individuals a well-mixed diet of plant sources, meats and dairy will provide all that you need. There is no one food that taken in moderation is poison and no magic bullet food that will cure all your ailments.

Things like timing of eating, high fat, low fat, carb restricted diets will all work, for weight loss, as long as CICO is negative. They will all fail if it is positive.

There is some benefit to some individuals on some diets. We are are different and the benefit of the different diets is that to find the one for you that helps you stick to eating a negative CICO while getting a healthy variety of foods.

Personally what works for me is having either two large or three smaller meals a day. I have actual sit down means as much as possible. Even when eating alone I put the food on a plate and sit at a table to eat, I eliminated snacking pretty well completely since my logging of my eating habits showed I was a boredom eater, nothing else to do, look in the fridge.

I reduce calories by eliminating most of the simple starches from my diet. I don’t eat white foods, rice, breads, potatoes very much, just some for flavor or when it comes as part of a served meal at someone’s house or in a restaurant.

It really is that simple, eat less than you burn and eat a wide variety of foods. Find the eating schedule and the specific foods that will help you maintain this diet and reduce cravings and stick to it. Don’t worry much about falling off the plan a little once in a while; just make sure that these lapses are few and minor. I know that for some health conditions and allergies that this will not work for all but for the majority of the people out there this is all you need to do.