Do you struggle to maintain your weight!

Options
I've lost a lot of weight, but I'm that kind of person that has lost a lot of weight in my life time, but i always put it all back on. I'm a yo-yo dieter. But this time I recognize that I need to break that pattern. I'm the kind of person that is either very good, or very bad, with my food. I'm all or nothing kind of of person. Once I know I've broken my diet, I then go full on eating for that day.

I don't want to destroy the weight loss I've done so far (197 pounds), but not losing is so disappointing to me, I then go the total opposite way. Is anyone the same as me, and find their mood reflects their eating.

Replies

• zedgt87
    zedgt87 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    uhhh I think your in the wrong place this section is about how to gain weight.. not how to avoid it.
  • Nicola0000
    Nicola0000 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Once you've hit your goal, change your MFP settings to maintain, and keep logging. I find that I need to keep logging, as otherwise I can binge and go right up again. You need eating at a maintain level to become habit, so stick with it. It'll also help you realise when you're going off track
  • Poods71
    Poods71 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I have exactly the same problem as you. I haven't lost as much as you have (well done on that by the way). But I am finding it hard to find the magic number to maintain my weight and I seem to bounce up and down just now. Like you I am very all or nothing but with logging and MFP I have started to realize that one bad day has not ruined everything and tomorrow is a new day. I am an emotional eater too but find with logging and keeping myself accountable I manage to stop myself from doing it (most of the time). I will have the very occassional blip but I don't beat myself up about it.
  • Majda1234_wechange
    Majda1234_wechange Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I've lost a lot of weight, but I'm that kind of person that has lost a lot of weight in my life time, but i always put it all back on. I'm a yo-yo dieter. But this time I recognize that I need to break that pattern. I'm the kind of person that is either very good, or very bad, with my food. I'm all or nothing kind of of person. Once I know I've broken my diet, I then go full on eating for that day.

I don't want to destroy the weight loss I've done so far (197 pounds), but not losing is so disappointing to me, I then go the total opposite way. Is anyone the same as me, and find their mood reflects their eating.

I am 100 % like you. I am such an extremist, if i do not go by my "plan" and eat something "frobbiden" my entire day is completely and i mean- 5000 calories a day ruined and i never exercise then and then i am depressed, crying, angry, stressed machine but there are other days where i would do everything as i am supposed too, eat healthy, exercise and such and then i am happy and completely different person. You literally would not reckognize me.
  • charlotterobson198
    Options
    this is because excercise is proven to make you feel better, i had depression, and comfort ate all the time and now since i started excercising, stopped drinking alcohol and started eating well my weight fell off and i found myself looking forward to excercising, i try and do some excercise per day at least 30 mins, and i feel awsome after it, then it doesnt make you feel so bad if you do have a cheat day as you have already worked the calories off in advance, i wasnt massively overweight but now that its coming off and im seeing results it just makes me feel more determined to maintain a healthy lifestyle and feel great at the same time!!!!!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I expect never to stop logging. Someone told me once it's like wearing glasses. A person who is near-sighted is always going to need correction. A person whose natural tendency is to eat too much is always going to need to log food.

If you don't continue logging in maintenance then you can just do what people who have never been significantly overweight do, which is as soon as your clothes start to get tighter you take a couple of weeks and go back to eating less. You obviously know how to lose weight if you need to do so, the trick is not to let it creep back up too far before correcting it.

As for transitioning to maintenance, increase your calories gradually and understand that your weight will fluctuate so don't panic about the couple of pounds of water weight you'll gain. Also set new goals for yourself to replace the goal of seeing your weight drop. Take whatever exercise you enjoy and set some fitness goals. I think this is a crucial part of maintenance.

And yes, this forum is for those who are gaining weight on purpose, because that's their goal.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    uhhh I think your in the wrong place this section is about how to gain weight.. not how to avoid it.

^^^ This:flowerforyou: