Do you share fitness tracker data with IRL friends? (Eg Fitbit)

Options
kiela64
kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
edited September 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
Do you add your IRL coworkers, friends, family on your fitness tracker social app? Do you find it motivating? Or is it something you would never do & why?

Replies

• orngnerdz
    orngnerdz Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I have basically my husband's entire family on FitBit and we do the Workweek Challenge every week. Sometimes it's motivating, other times it's just annoying because they like to tell me how they are getting more steps than I am, even though I am going to the gym 4x a week. My husband is on MFP but not nearly as engaged as I am (yet) and I'm hoping we can motivate each other. I'm totally into sharing the experience with my IRL peeps!
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Yes, and no.

When I was using samsung health, I had my mum on there. Unfortunately my steps were always woefully low due to the fact that I got most of my steps on the judo mat, without my phone on me, so it wasn't really motivating all all.

However, now I've got a fitbit and I have no one on there at all (and I can't link to samsung health). My brother has a fitbit so I should really add him, but again I can't get many of my steps tracked because I can't wear it during judo, so it'll probably still be woefully low compared to him.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I have a few people I know IRL on Strava. Not sure it either helps or hinders me.
  • lmew91
    lmew91 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I like the competition, it pushes me to do more than I would have if I knew nobody else would see. I like achieving new goals and beating people :p But I also have to take a step back sometimes, like if I'm not feeling well, and remind myself that I don't have to win EVERY challenge.
  • IdLikeToLoseItLoseIt
    Options
    I do not share my activity with the people I know, because it allows me the freedom to be myself, good activity weeks or bad. I have some super supportive people on my buddy list, but at the end of the day a stranger doesn’t care about my weekly average or whether or not I reached my step goal. My family? They would most definitely snoop and judge. There are so many extenuating circumstances that impact my activity at times, and I’d hate to have to explain personal stuff (like pain) to my co-worker, ya know?
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I have some of my old coworkers as friends on fitbit, as well as my sister. We used to have weekly workweek hustles or whatever. No one at my new job (1.5 years) is my friend on fitbit though. I don't interact with any of my "friends" on there ever so they don't really serve any purpose anymore. But I like having them because I find it vaguely interesting how many steps they're getting :D
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    I do not share my activity with the people I know, because it allows me the freedom to be myself, good activity weeks or bad. I have some super supportive people on my buddy list, but at the end of the day a stranger doesn’t care about my weekly average or whether or not I reached my step goal. My family? They would most definitely snoop and judge. There are so many extenuating circumstances that impact my activity at times, and I’d hate to have to explain personal stuff (like pain) to my co-worker, ya know?

Yeah, that’s the sort of thing that’s putting me off of the idea.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    What are "IRL friends"?
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    IRL - in real life

And no, I don't share my goals, progress, steps, etc. with anyone. My goals are my goals, their goals are their goals.
  • rsj7799
    rsj7799 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    What are "IRL friends"?

"In Real Life"
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Only one. A class mate of mine have a mini "competition" MWF, whomever does the most stairs by class (9AM) gets a free coffee refill after class. It's all in fun, as the refills are 25¢ in the psych office (we're both psych majors).
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I have my boss as a connection on Garmin Connect. One time I peered at his data and learned I weigh 75 pounds more than him but run a 5k 15 minutes faster.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    IRL - in real life

And no, I don't share my goals, progress, steps, etc. with anyone. My goals are my goals, their goals are their goals.

Sometimes I trade goals with friends. My buddy has been wanting to see Cathedral and Amphitheater, I never gave it much thought because it didn't seem realistic. Those two mountains are 20 hard miles from the nearest road. But he's showing me pictures and I have to go see for myself in person now.