Bun size turkey breakfast sausage?

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
edited September 2018 in Food and Nutrition
Seriously... where do you find this? I've been trying to go back to breakfast sandwiches and make my own, but I can't for the life of me find breakfast sausage that is normal PATTY size.. even less turkey sausage.

I splurged on a box yesterday, it said 4 patties and the box was pretty big... still tiny ridiculous patties (I feel ripped off). I had to play puzzle to make two of them fit in my flatbread. Such a PITA.

Suggestions?

ETA - I've tried making my own sausage - tasted like seasoned ground meat... not really something I want for breakfast. So unless someone has an awesome recipe to make my own, I'm a bit stuck, lol.
«1

Replies

  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    When I ate sausage, I would get the brands that are rolled (they look like this) and then shape them the size I want, and make them larger than bun size so they shrink down to the correct size.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,031 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Yeah, I bought it in one pound bulk rolls and then made them the size I want.

    Turkey breakfast sausage in bulk packages is in the freezer section in my store with the other breakfast stuff. It's cheaper that way than pre-portoined, too!

    There are several brands, they all taste a little different. Butterball is good. Jennie O is good, too.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I had to google breakfast sausage - and it isn't necessarily in sausage shape, it can also be a small hamburger - you learn something new every day! So. If you want larger hamburgers, can't you just buy normal sized hamburgers?
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Does it have to be turkey, or are you interested in chicken breakfast sausage? I've seen and used quite a few of those patties. They are pretty good and lean.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I can't remember seeing bulk turkey sausage, but I'll look (I know I DID buy some once, but I think it was pork).

    I'm fine with chicken too, just no luck there either.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    You might have some luck at a local meat market. They'd shape them and weigh them for you too.
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    i buy the jones chicken or turkey breakfast sausage patties. little bit smaller than an english muffin but not to bad.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Buy a 1 lb bulk package and make patties the size you prefer.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,031 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I can't remember seeing bulk turkey sausage, but I'll look (I know I DID buy some once, but I think it was pork).

    I'm fine with chicken too, just no luck there either.

    It's in the big freezers here, like where the frozen waffles are. (U.S.)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,031 Member
    Options
    Ask someone in the meat department.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I had to go to another store and found some. Unfortunately, my bun sized patties are a fail, I didn't realize that they would shrink that much in the oven, and I couldn't make them too thin because they were disintegrating... My patty shaping skills are not good. They'll still be eating, obviously...

    So, I'm still looking. Sigh.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    I actually buy lean 93/7 Turkey and make my own. It's not hard. Just season and let sit over night covered. This way, you can make any flavor profile you like.
  • Stockholm_Andy
    Stockholm_Andy Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    These are breakfast sausages.

    Anything patty shaped is an abomination in the eyes of Thor, anything made of Turkey is an abomination in the eye of Odin, anything cooked in an oven is an abomination in the eyes of Freyja ;););)

    british_bangers_sausages.jpg
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    These are breakfast sausages.

    Anything patty shaped is an abomination in the eyes of Thor, anything made of Turkey is an abomination in the eye of Odin, anything cooked in an oven is an abomination in the eyes of Freyja ;););)

    british_bangers_sausages.jpg

    And pork is an sin again Allah and Jehovah. Beef is offensive to Shiva... point sir?
  • Stockholm_Andy
    Stockholm_Andy Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    These are breakfast sausages.

    Anything patty shaped is an abomination in the eyes of Thor, anything made of Turkey is an abomination in the eye of Odin, anything cooked in an oven is an abomination in the eyes of Freyja ;););)

    british_bangers_sausages.jpg

    And pork is an sin again Allah and Jehovah. Beef is offensive to Shiva... point sir?

    Just being silly mate. And yours?
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    These are breakfast sausages.

    Anything patty shaped is an abomination in the eyes of Thor, anything made of Turkey is an abomination in the eye of Odin, anything cooked in an oven is an abomination in the eyes of Freyja ;););)

    british_bangers_sausages.jpg

    And pork is an sin again Allah and Jehovah. Beef is offensive to Shiva... point sir?

    Just being silly mate. And yours?

    Same here.... I'm just a d-bag sometimes.. lol
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Seriously... where do you find this? I've been trying to go back to breakfast sandwiches and make my own, but I can't for the life of me find breakfast sausage that is normal PATTY size.. even less turkey sausage.

    I splurged on a box yesterday, it said 4 patties and the box was pretty big... still tiny ridiculous patties (I feel ripped off). I had to play puzzle to make two of them fit in my flatbread. Such a PITA.

    Suggestions?

    ETA - I've tried making my own sausage - tasted like seasoned ground meat... not really something I want for breakfast. So unless someone has an awesome recipe to make my own, I'm a bit stuck, lol.

    Buy raw sausages, formed into patties you like and cook. Problem solved :)

    But that's the thing though, I can't seem to make them thin enough for them to actually keep their shape (so I ended up with small fat patties instead of what I was going for).
    psychod787 wrote: »
    I actually buy lean 93/7 Turkey and make my own. It's not hard. Just season and let sit over night covered. This way, you can make any flavor profile you like.

    I tried that, but it tasted like seasoned ground turkey, not sausage. I have absolutely no clue what it is that makes sausage different.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Seriously... where do you find this? I've been trying to go back to breakfast sandwiches and make my own, but I can't for the life of me find breakfast sausage that is normal PATTY size.. even less turkey sausage.

    I splurged on a box yesterday, it said 4 patties and the box was pretty big... still tiny ridiculous patties (I feel ripped off). I had to play puzzle to make two of them fit in my flatbread. Such a PITA.

    Suggestions?

    ETA - I've tried making my own sausage - tasted like seasoned ground meat... not really something I want for breakfast. So unless someone has an awesome recipe to make my own, I'm a bit stuck, lol.

    Buy raw sausages, formed into patties you like and cook. Problem solved :)

    But that's the thing though, I can't seem to make them thin enough for them to actually keep their shape (so I ended up with small fat patties instead of what I was going for).
    psychod787 wrote: »
    I actually buy lean 93/7 Turkey and make my own. It's not hard. Just season and let sit over night covered. This way, you can make any flavor profile you like.

    I tried that, but it tasted like seasoned ground turkey, not sausage. I have absolutely no clue what it is that makes sausage different.

    Well.... you have to let the mixture sit a while. Add some water to your meat when you add the spices. I used to make REAL sausage years ago. It's just a matter of letting the seasoning take effect. Also look into Morton's tender quick. It's a curing salt. Adds that cured flavor to meats.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I think most of them are english muffin sized, not burger bun sized. Have you considered switching your bread instead and having 2 if youre still hungry?

    Also. You said you needed two in your flatbread and said it was a PITA. I giggled. That is clever. Pita, flatbread... get it... did you do that on purpose or was it a pleasant pun?