Diet or exercise?

Options
Is it still effective to lose weight with dieting alone and no exercise? I do a brisk walk for 50 minutes 5 days a week, but that's all as it's my journey to and from work each day, will I still lose weight ifI stick to a low calorie diet of around 1200 - 1500? As I have been doing this for about 4 weeks now and lost next to nothing.

Replies

• TheFitnessTutor
    TheFitnessTutor Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Your pics must be very old because in those pics you're nowhere near over weight and shouldn't be concerned with losing weight.
  • Natashaskedd
    Options
    I only want to lose the stone I have gained in the last 6 months
  • Montarosa456
    Options
    I think if your eating the right foods for your 1,200-1,500 a day intake and walking 50 minutes 5 days a week you should be able to lose weight at a steady/healthy rate.
  • fatfudgery
    fatfudgery Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Diet or exercise?

MQTrOSS.png
  • squimkin
    squimkin Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm the same as you! I walk 60-70 minutes every day while walking to/from school. I've been sticking to a fairly low calorie count of about 1100-1500 (mostly around 1200), but focusing mostly on cleaning up my diet (oatmeal with home-made applesauce or yoghurt in the mornings rather than sugary cereals, skim milk instead of full-fat, chicken breast instead of steak, etc). I've been doing MFP for about 2-3 months and in that time I've lost 3kg (6 lbs I think?) which is perfectly healthy :) It's slow, but it's steady and that's all I'm aiming for. The quicker it comes off the quicker it'll come back on!
  • jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    "A smaller marshmallow is still a marshmallow"

Losing weight and losing fat are not the same thing.
  • mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Being in a caloric deficit will make you lose weight, regardless of if you exercise or not. Exercise just allows you to eat more and build muscle whilst still losing weight.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Yes you can lose weight with just diet, However, without strength training you risk loss of muscle mass. I would recommend both (and cardio if you want to improve cardiovascular health or to help with creating a deficit).
  • helenrosemay
    helenrosemay Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Walking is exercise. I walk everyday for exercise (I do a few workout dvds too) but my main cardio is walking.
  • siany01
    siany01 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight with diet alone. I lost my first 40lbs like that. How much of that 40lbs was muscle though is anyone's guess. Diet and exercise go hand in hand. If you can physically exercise then I would do it. Its a great buzz :happy:
  • ZealousMissJJ
    ZealousMissJJ Posts: 454 Member
    Options

Ooohh I loved that quote! Such an eyeopener for me :)! Diet AND exercise it is!!
  • xWendyJonesx
    xWendyJonesx Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I lost most of my weight by sticking to 1200-1400 cals per day and walking to and from work each day, approx 3miles, it worked at first, but recently the weight loss has slowed right down, I've now joined a gym and work out and do classes approx 3 times a week, now I'm seeing changes in by body shape.

Good luck.
  • choijanro
    choijanro Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    You can still lose weight in diet alone but if you do diet and exercise you can lose weight faster and your skin is fit or tight
  • markraj
    markraj Posts: 3
    Options
    I've been losing weight mostly by controlling what I eat and opting for less sugary, fatty and salty stuff.

The only exercise I've been doing is walking my 2 Rottweilers between 40-60 minutes and I don't even do that every day. A bit of gardening here and there plus some housework.

One thing to note, it isn't easy keeping to a 1500 calorie limit especially if you consume meat or drink alcohol.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    seriously,,,
    DO BOTH
  • MrsGraves1987
    MrsGraves1987 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Looking at your pictures, you do not need to lose any weight! If I looked like that, I'd definitely be very happy :drinker:
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options

Ooohh I loved that quote! Such an eyeopener for me :)! Diet AND exercise it is!!

Excellent quote!! LOL
  • paulperryman
    paulperryman Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    yup you can as others said but exercise makes you more efficient and will make the end you look and feel better
    need to work on self image too as i've noticed, i'm alot "skinnier" and am proud of what i've achieved but i still feel fat in my mind and have the opposite feelings that it's just not good enough and should be alot more lost for the effort i was putting in

Plus diet alone, you have to know exactly what your metabolic rate is or you may still be over eating, exercise gives you that extra fat/calorie burn and a boost to motabolism during that diet alone will not do
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    The answer to your question is yes. Many people resist working out for a variety of reasons and others don't consider some things as working out. The important thing for your health is to eat right and be fit. Getting fit takes moving. So find things that you like to do and you will get fit. The walking is awesome there are those who will tell you it isn't working out, but it is. So you walk almost an hour five days a week, now on your weekend find something fun to do like maybe ride a bike, or go for a really long hike, or go swimming ... dancing, hula hooping ... also branch out and try things you have never considered you may find that you open up a whole new world ... the wonderful side effect is that you will feel good.
  • FrankiesSaysRelax
    FrankiesSaysRelax Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Yes, you will lose weight from diet alone. But, bear in mind that's where a lot of us end up looking "skinny fat."