What’s your best weird/secret/unexpected trick to avoid temptation?

2»

Replies

• TheLaser
    TheLaser Posts: 338 Member
    These aren't particularly unusual, but they typically work: I look at the before and after pictures on MFP. I have a cute dress hanging in the bathroom that I'd like to fit into. I look at a fb "frenemy" who is thinner. I go for a run. I try to change habits that lead me to calorie overloads, e.g. leave the kitchen in the evening. (Also: not keeping any temptations in the house and TEA!)
  • achickwwit
    achickwwit Posts: 31 Member
    TheLaser wrote: »
    These aren't particularly unusual, but they typically work: I look at the before and after pictures on MFP. I have a cute dress hanging in the bathroom that I'd like to fit into. I look at a fb "frenemy" who is thinner. I go for a run. I try to change habits that lead me to calorie overloads, e.g. leave the kitchen in the evening. (Also: not keeping any temptations in the house and TEA!)

These are great and so realistic! Curious what you meant by the “kitchen“ comment. Do you mean that after you eat you stay out of the kitchen?
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    SmithsonianEmpress Posts: 1,163 Member
    I like to make a cup of tea when temptation hits! I have so many yummy flavors that I can usually find something to take the edge off.

What kinds of tea do you drink?
  • swissfit8873
    swissfit8873 Posts: 1 Member
    I make a cup of Tea.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Cleaning the fridge always works, lol.

Brushing teeth doesn't do anything for me and tea just makes me hungrier (I can have some black coffee to delay the inevitable though lol).

I second the not having temptations in the house to an extent, but I tend to obsess about what I want, then end up buying it anyway and binging on it...
  • iowalinda
    iowalinda Posts: 356 Member
    Mental math, consider TDEE from fitbit, sleep, eat for purpose (not pleasure), various psych tricks (environment, dark colors, associations, etc.)

Please share the psych tricks!
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Discipline. It has been lacking lately, but I hope I am on the right track again. I had gained up to the top of my maintenance range and need to start stepping back down. Just to be clear, I mean temptation for more than fits. I leave some room for reasonable treats.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Another tea drinker here! A hot cup of tea when I want a little something has literally saved me thousands of calories over the last 9 or so months.
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    My worse time as far as mindlessly snacking is in the afternoon as soon as I get home from work. I've always packed the kids lunches for the next day as the first thing I do when I get home, so I always had a hard time not munching while doing that.
    Lately though, I've moved my morning yoga to just after I get home. This way, by the time I'm done with yoga it's time to make dinner or take the kids to their activities so I'm avoiding the trouble spot. I now pack their lunches after dinner when I'm not hungry anymore.
    This seems to be helping so far.
    We all just have to find what works for us.
  • I take all of the unhealthy foods out of my house. If it is out of sight, it’s out of my mind. Furthermore, I binge watch junk food documentary. It immediately kills my desire for eating any of it.
  • UltraVegAthlete
    UltraVegAthlete Posts: 667 Member
    Coffee, coconut water, or kiwi berries.
  • mooreks81
    mooreks81 Posts: 15 Member
    gum helps if you want dessert
  • george5911
    george5911 Posts: 3,910 Member
    No tricks, good old fashioned discipline. The ultimate tool for success since the beginning of mankind.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Set a timer for half an hour and drink some water and see how I feel after.