Goal weight criticized

Options

Replies

• SwimMighty
    SwimMighty Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Fflpnari wrote: »
    Do whatever feels right for you. Don't listen to people. I don't talk to people about my weight loss/goals/stuggles

Totally agree. There are so many factors, from your personal biomechanics and body structure, to your own metabolism, etc.. if 130 is where you feel your best, then keep that goal.
    If you picked that goal for an external reason (to please dimeone else, to look a certain way) and not from within yourself (to feel your best), only then is it a bad goal.
    Be true to yourself.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Others are going to have opinions, just get to a goal you feel is right for you.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    OddDitty wrote: »
    GoodLardy wrote: »
    I typed this out once and it disappeared, sorry if it’s repost. My goal weight has been criticized three times this week. I want to weigh in the 130’s. I am 5’4”. One person goal weight is much higher than mine at same height, one said I should be satisfied at 150 even though they are 135 at 5’7’. Another said because I have children and am older I should be satisfied w a higher weight. I feel like that is selling myself short. Do they want me to stay fat ? And for what reason? They said not when I asked, just said 130s is too low and skinny. Grrr!

Well hon, 140 isn't fat, depending on your bone structure. HAVING SAID THAT you seem to have a realistic goal at 130. If people have issues with that, then its on them, not you. Unless your doctor tells you that's too light, then you don't need to worry. Five-four is average height and women in that group generally weigh between 115-135 (according to one report I read). So no worries! You focus on your goal and good luck to you! :)

Not according to the CDC:

American women aged 20 years and above weigh an average of 168.5 pounds (lbs), according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Height-wise, the average adult female is 5 feet 4 inches, and her waist measures 38.1

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/321003.php

This. The "ideal" weight -- and even what the previous poster said is ideal still doesn't encompass the full "normal" BMI range, so I'm going to totally side-eye it as likely coming from a site with less-than ideal motives -- and the average weight do not match up in the U.S.
  • onematch
    onematch Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Ignore the haters. I'm 5'4" and my original goal weight was 147, since that's what I'd been able to maintain at in my late 20s. I've now lowered it to 135. I'm currently 143 and still have a nice size belly. Everyone and every body is different. I'm 48 years old, and maybe it's because I have less muscle tone than when I was younger, but my weight hasn't been this low since I was in college, even though size-wise I'm about the same as I was when I was 147. Bodies are unpredictable and weird. Do what's best for YOU!
  • bustercrabby
    bustercrabby Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    GoodLardy wrote: »
    I typed this out once and it disappeared, sorry if it’s repost. My goal weight has been criticized three times this week. I want to weigh in the 130’s. I am 5’4”. One person goal weight is much higher than mine at same height, one said I should be satisfied at 150 even though they are 135 at 5’7’. Another said because I have children and am older I should be satisfied w a higher weight. I feel like that is selling myself short. Do they want me to stay fat ? And for what reason? They said not when I asked, just said 130s is too low and skinny. Grrr!

All these well-meaning people are nothing more than arm chair dietitians. They don't really know much about you or your medical history. IMHO, you should talk this over with your doctor.

I am not a doctor, nor do I pretend to be.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    it's none of their business. Stop discussing it with people
  • iowalinda
    iowalinda Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    I don't know why having kids or being older should mean you should remain 5 lbs overweight.
    I hear this from people, too, and it drives me crazy. If I was at a healthy weight when I was 19, why would the same weight be unhealthy in my 60's when I am the same height?

• Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    FL_Hiker wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »

Omg I can't imagine how much I would have to eat to weigh 168!!!! You would be literally rolling me down the street. At my heaviest , eating tons of junk food I was 140's! That's more than my husband weighs and he's much taller than me.

That link has a BMI scale different then those I have used. at 5'1 and 132 the others have me at average-healthy. this one says i need to get down to 127 to be healthy :open_mouth:

I can TOTALLY eat very easily to be 168. I ate myself up to over 200 at various points in my life. It's pretty darn easy. And I am only 5'1. Was it healthy? nope. but it WAS easy ;)