2 ways to deal with plateau - work harder or wait it out?

Options
2»

Replies

• TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I had been at a plateau for 6 months. So I definitely tried the waiting it out method, and it did nothing. For the last 3-4 weeks I've been working out like a beast and started cutting calories more severely a few days a week and the scale finally started moving again.

I've been tired and hungry, but at least I broke my plateau.
  • carrieo888
    carrieo888 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Change up your workout. Your body gets used to an exercise after about 6 weeks, so you need to "shock" it with something new. For example, if you are doing "standard" sit ups, add bicycle crunches or other oblique-targeting sit ups (where elbow touches opposite knee). That kind of "muscle confusion" helps build muscle fiber, which helps burn fat.

And make sure you are getting plenty of protein and monounsaturated fats (avocado, almonds, olives...). I think most people are able to easily get their carbs in, but not enough of the protein and "good" fats. You're body is a machine and needs good fuel to work optimally.

Good luck!
  • FeelingLessChubby
    FeelingLessChubby Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Thank you again :)

I'm logging everything religiously and I'm now coming to the end of 3rd week of plateau.

I have read about weightloss slowing down as the goal gets closer so I do expect this.