Saggy skin worries. :(

Options
Hello, you beautiful creatures!

So, I'm hoping you can all help.

I'm 24 and 5 foot 10 inches.I started my weight loss when i hit 220 pounds. (Oh dear)

I don't do any weight training. All i do is swim, breast stoke for about an hour, between 2-5 times a week.I don't really have any desire to do more than that.

Once I've gotten to my goal weight of 168 pounds/ 12 stone (i may need to be smaller) am I going to have lots of saggy skin?

I'm really not bothered about stretch marks, I have lots of those anyway from getting so tall so quickly, but I don't want to go from feeling fat and yukky, to slim but saggy and yukky . Any thoughts?

Thanks guys.
Much love to you all. xx

Replies

• CloudyMao
    CloudyMao Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    That depends completely on;
    - genetics
    - rate of weight lost
    - how hydrated you stay
    - genetics
    - how long the skin has been over stretched
    - skin condition
    - body fat composition

There's no way of knowing for sure, but with you being young, and not exceptionally large at your highest it's likely that your skin will recover. If you do end up with excess skin, the advice is to stay hydrated, look after your skin - dry bushing etc, and do strength training. Be patient however, it can take a couple of years for the skin to pull back tight over the rest of you.

There's always surgery - It's an option, it's not for everyone. I believe however with good enough care it's not necessary in most cases.
  • MissEStrange22
    Options
    Thanks CloudyMao,

I'm losing slowly- 1 pound a week so fingers crossed.
    Thanks very much for the advise. I defo don't drink enough water, so this is reason number 1 to star doing!

I don't think it would ever upset me so much i would consider surgery, I could think of better things to spend my money on...like CAKE!... Kidding (not really) :)

x
  • MattLBennett
    MattLBennett Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I think you'll be fine. As said you are young, stay hydrated, don't go for loss too quickly (like > 2lbs a week) and try some skin firming cream. Weights don't hurt either. If i'm anything to go by..6ft 3, 39 and lost what i show on my ticker in 6 months, no saggy skin here :)

Good luck.
  • CloudyMao
    CloudyMao Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    No problem, I doubt you'll have an issue with it. Your body will thank you for going about your journey the healthy way xx good luck drinking more water x
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    First of all, you're very very young, so more than likely, your skin will bounce back. Also, you're not planning on losing 100+ lbs, and it's usually with a LARGE amount of weight loss that the problems are the most common. No one can say if you will or will not, but like others have said, it's better to be healthy. I did a post in the blog section not too long ago with some tips, mainly about skincare:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/aquarabbit?month=201307
    Strength training is still something to consider since it really does help. And since you plan on losing slowly, I doubt you'll have any problems. Good luck with everything though! Keep us all updated on your progress! :D
  • shanniepk
    shanniepk Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    As others said, you are young and your skin is still very resilient and pliable. Lots, lots, and lots of water intake, a good prescription strength moisturizer massaged in your skin everyday and some weight lifting. I have a bootcamp friend that is your age and lost 100 pounds in the last year, and she was worried about this same thing. She looks fantastic. A little loose skin on her tummy, but not that anyone can really notice but her (and she's had two kids). She's down to a size 4, and is such an inspiration. You are looking fabulous. Keep it up!
  • lulu81488
    lulu81488 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have the exact same concern! Our SW and GW are very similar and I'm also 5'10". After reading the other replies I am going to really up my water intake to make sure I'm staying hydrated. I think the slow & steady method will help to avoid saggy skin. At least I really hope it will. Thanks for posting about this- it was really helpful for me to read everyone's replies & to see that I'm not the only person concerned with this issue.
  • sean_d33
    sean_d33 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I would just focus on the weight loss for now and worry about it when you hit your goal weight. I have seen many people fall away from their weight loss goals worrying about something that may or may not ever happen. You goal should be worrying that you may never know if your body has saggy skin at 168! ;-)