Done with Keto. Need some advice on carbs...

Options
Hello I’m new to myfitnesspal & definitely interested in some advice. I feel like I’m at my wits end here, constantly yo-yo’ing my weight.. up and down the scale. I’ve pretty much gained 10 lbs in a month from being depressed and just turning to food. I have been trying to shed the weight off but I always fall off. I’ve tried Keto and I’ve also tried just giving up the “bad” carbs and switching to brown rice & whe grains. While Keto did work for me, honestly I’m too much of a “I love carbs” type of girl to give it up. I love brown rice, love my ezekiel bread.... and I just couldn’t stand the fact that once I did eat those foods again or have a cheat meal on Keto, the weight would just come back quickly. While I’m sure Keto works amazing for a lot of people, just for me personally it didn’t.

I’m trying to lose the 10 lbs I gained especially with being a bridesmaid in a wedding (in 5 weeks) and I just can’t seem to find the motivation.

What has worked the best for you and noticed the weight was dropping at a good pace to lose weight? Do you eat carbs and do you watch out for how much you eat? I don’t have the time to work out except one day a week. For carbs, do you count them at all? If I’m not doing the Keto diet, but still eating healthier such as:

Breakfast: egg white veggie scramble
Lunch: Protein shake + Ezekiel bread with almond butter & a few sliced bananas
Dinner: Chicken or fish with vegetables and 1 cup brown rice

Can I still lose the weight by then if I’m eating at 1200 calories a day no matter the carb count? Keto just isn’t going to be a lifestyle change for me as I want to enjoy myself once in a while with pasta, pizza.. lol..

And I’m just scared I won’t be able to lose the weight. Any advice given or your success stories is highly appreciated

Replies

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need this thread in the long-term.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/113609/relatively-light-people-trying-to-get-leaner/p1

Also, I doubt anyone is going to notice a difference in your body of 10 lbs if you lose that in 5 weeks.

Your face and mood might be a lot worse for wear after 5 weeks at 1200 calories.

Kudos on ditching a diet that you didn't enjoy. Be kind to yourself and enjoy the wedding. :heart:
  • kq1981
    kq1981 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    What will work is if you set yourself a realistic calorie goal per day and don’t expect miraculous weight loss to happen in 2 weeks. Be patient and be real. Eat what you want, when you want, as long as it’s within your calorie allowance. Browse forums, self educate and keep on going, log honestly and as correctly as possible (scales). Just keep at it! Good luck :)
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight eating carbs--I live in Italy and they do. Just plug your stats into MFP, get your daily calorie goal, buy a digital food scale, start weighing and measuring everything you eat and drink, and try to stay inside that goal everyday. Move more and exercise if you can because MFP gives you more calories for exercise + you'll look better when you arrive at your goal weight. Be patient and good luck.
  • kq1981
    kq1981 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight eating carbs--I live in Italy and they do. Just plug your stats into MFP, get your daily calorie goal, buy a digital food scale, start weighing and measuring everything you eat and drink, and try to stay inside that goal everyday. Move more and exercise if you can because MFP gives you more calories for exercise + you'll look better when you arrive at your goal weight. Be patient and good luck.

I’m Italian! Do NOT deny me carbs lol
  • Millicent3015
    Millicent3015 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I eat fewer carbs because I have T2 diabetes. I don't do any drastic keto style or IF stuff to lose weight, I just eat less of some things like carbs, fats and added sugar, and more of others like vegetables, fruit, whole grains and protein. I try not to go over 100g carbs a day, but that's to keep my blood glucose stable, and I do need to lose more weight to achieve a healthy BMI, which will help in managing my condition. In the UK, up to 30g a day is classed as very low carb, 30-70g is lower carb, 70-140g is normal. There's no magic behind it. The less carbs you eat, the less calories you're taking in, and combined with eating less of everything else, weight loss occurs.