Have health conditions but working my hardest to lose 80lbs!

Options
Lyssysho26
Lyssysho26 Posts: 35 Member
edited September 2018 in Getting Started
My name is lyssy and i have degenerative disc diseases, arthritis and scoliosis in my back. I would love New friends and support through this journey towards a healthier lifestyle

Replies

• VioiletAgnes
    VioiletAgnes Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi Lyssy. I am a baby boomer with osteo arthritis in my left knee. I need to lose about 80 lbs before I am a good candidate to have a total knee replacement. For the past 1.5 years, I have been using a warm pool in our area for 6 pt sessions then continue working out on my own. I am up to 1.5 hrs of aqua jogging or X-C skiing in the warm pool. A number of pool users have back and neck issues and use the pool as a way to relax and stretch. Is there a warm pool in your area?
  • WobblyYorkshireLass
    Options
    Hi Lyssy, i also have scoliosis, DDD, arthritis along with other back conditions that make it had to do a lot of exercise. At the moment i am sticking to walking, but looking to plan my own exercises
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,943 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I'm sorry to hear of your physical challenges, sounds like a lot.

Luckily you can lose weight without much (or any) exercise. Just plug in your stats and start tracking your food daily. Building up a good routine and finding strategies for myself to make it easier to cut calories made it possible for me to lose nearly 80 pounds many years ago and I've kept it off even when laid up with illnesses and injuries.

I also was able to virtually eliminate many aches and pains and the beginning of some chronic illnesses all due to carrying less weight. I hope you find that your pain and difficulties are lessened by weight loss.
  • Lyssysho26
    Options
    @eskimodeb2

Hi sorry for the late reply!. Yes i have a membership to a swimming pool. I don't take aquatic therapy but i use alotof excercises i learn in PT. swimming had helped alot with me losing weight

@WobblyYorkshireLass

I'm trying to figure out what really works for me in feeling the burn but not hurting myself. Weight loss can be very slow when you're not able to exercise hard like everyone else but there's way around it I'm sure !

@cmriverside

Yes ! I heard losing weight me reduce alot of the pain. Hopefully I'll get there. I lost 12 lbs so far and feel a slight difference. Maybe i can lose more.
  • debbiel1025
    debbiel1025 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. New member. Nervous about it all.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Lyssysho26 wrote: »
    @eskimodeb2

Hi sorry for the late reply!. Yes i have a membership to a swimming pool. I don't take aquatic therapy but i use alotof excercises i learn in PT. swimming had helped alot with me losing weight

@WobblyYorkshireLass

I'm trying to figure out what really works for me in feeling the burn but not hurting myself. Weight loss can be very slow when you're not able to exercise hard like everyone else but there's way around it I'm sure !

@cmriverside

Yes ! I heard losing weight me reduce alot of the pain. Hopefully I'll get there. I lost 12 lbs so far and feel a slight difference. Maybe i can lose more.

weight loss is not about exercise. its about a calorie deficit.
  • Lyssysho26
    Options
    @eskimodeb2

@WobblyYorkshireLass

@cmriverside

Never said it was all about excercise. I understand 80% of it is what you eat. I'm just use to doing more excercise like i did in the past. But I'm just venting ......
  • tarcotti
    tarcotti Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Hey Lyssy! Feel free to add me as a friend as well. I've got scoliosis as well and a few other things! I feel more pain in my back as I get older (Or is it because I've gained weight? Not sure.) I wonder if the pain will be more manageable after weight loss for me!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    @eskimodeb2

@WobblyYorkshireLass

@cmriverside

Never said it was all about excercise. I understand 80% of it is what you eat. I'm just use to doing more excercise like i did in the past. But I'm just venting ......

never said you said that. and diet is 100% of how much you eat when it comes to weight loss. quite a few people here cant exercise or they are confined to a wheel chair and have lost weight just by eating in a deficit. if you cant do much right now thats where the deficit comes in. when and if you can do more later on then you do that and adjust accordingly. if you can do light exercises or low impact then do that.I know it sucks not being able to do things you did in the past due to health issues/injuries. I too have health issues and injuries and have become limited for now as to what I can do as well.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    @eskimodeb2

@WobblyYorkshireLass

@cmriverside

I understand your frustration. I would like nothing more than to push my body further with either running, cycling or walking where the terrain isn't pretty much flat. My body will not let me without pain and further injuries and I really don't want a knee replacement in my 40's. Because of this walking, it is (well I could do some strength training as I know the positive impact this would have but it just hasn't happened yet).

By the way, I managed to lose around 80 pounds by diet and walking. Nothing strenuous at all.
  • honneybaby22
    honneybaby22 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hello
    I'm trying to lose 60 more pounds I have hypothyroidism and I honestly just lost my way. I'm here today trying to find back my focus and will power and lose this weight
    Hope I can give motivation to someone as well are receiving it
  • Lyssysho26
    Options
    @eskimodeb2

@WobblyYorkshireLass

@cmriverside

never said you said that. and diet is 100% of how much you eat when it comes to weight loss. quite a few people here cant exercise or they are confined to a wheel chair and have lost weight just by eating in a deficit. if you cant do much right now thats where the deficit comes in. when and if you can do more later on then you do that and adjust accordingly. if you can do light exercises or low impact then do that.I know it sucks not being able to do things you did in the past due to health issues/injuries. I too have health issues and injuries and have become limited for now as to what I can do as well.

Thanks so much i really needed to hear that . I'm slowly trying to build up confidence to focus more on the exciting healthy journey vs losing weight fast
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    @eskimodeb2

@WobblyYorkshireLass

@cmriverside

Thanks so much i really needed to hear that . I'm slowly trying to build up confidence to focus more on the exciting healthy journey vs losing weight fast

slow and steady wins the race . its a marathon not a sprint. losing slower is better in the long run for many reasons(unless you have a health issue and need to lose it fast).