Dealing with bicep tendonitis

Options
Has anyone dealt with bicep tendonitis? I realized I developed it when I felt a snapping sensation off and on near my shoulder on my upper bicep area after working on pull ups. That area is tender to the touch and quite achy. Is there anything I can do other than resting it, icing it and taking anti-inflammatories? I want to get this healed so I can get to my regularly scheduled weight program ... any ideas are appreciated!

Replies

• jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    rhtexasgal wrote: »
    Has anyone dealt with bicep tendonitis? I realized I developed it when I felt a snapping sensation off and on near my shoulder on my upper bicep area after working on pull ups. That area is tender to the touch and quite achy. Is there anything I can do other than resting it, icing it and taking anti-inflammatories? I want to get this healed so I can get to my regularly scheduled weight program ... any ideas are appreciated!

… that really doesn't sound like tendonitis. Sounds more like your tore something. I have tendinitis in both arms - something that comes and goes. I use straps to help. Anyhow, I'd get it checked out to be sure it's not something else that is potentially more serious (not that tendinitis is a joke, I hate it). Tendinitis tends to come on gradually and builds up over time. Takes a long time to resolve and usually requires avoiding the motions that caused it or aggravate it.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I agree that you need to have it checked. Don’t self diagnose. I have chronic tendinitis in my right shoulder/arm. When it flares I have to ice it, rest it, take anti-inflammatory medicines, and some light stretches given to me by a PT.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Definitely get it checked out. I thought I had biceps tendonitis. I went to see a sports medicine doctor and he diagnosed me with double shoulder impingement. He gave me some anti-inflammatories and the pain cleared up by about 80%. Best of all, he didn't tell me to quit working out. :wink:
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone ... I was able to see my ortho today and he did an ultrasound and his physical therapist did something called a Speed Test? Can't quite remember. He concurred that my self diagnosis was accurate based on my previous history. Because I showed no other issues with my shoulder, neck or anywhere else, he felt I did not need an MRI at the moment. That snapping sound was from the shoulder joint popping (which happens to me all the time) ... I have been working hard lately on my arms, especially trying to do chin ups and pull ups again. That is when I felt that sensation with my bicep tendon. So I have to lay off the chin ups, ice the arm, do anti-inflammatories and he gave me a cryotherapy spray to apply to my arm ... talk about a cool burn BUT that tendon doesn't feel like it is burning from within.