I need a little help

Options
I am a 60 year old woman. I lost 90ish pounds over a couple of years using MFP and have maintained for 4 years with little work

5 months ago I left my husband of 20 years and moved out of state. We are very fortunate that we have no children and are financially secure.

I moved to a small town where I already had a couple of friends and rented a condo for 6 months.

4 months in I found how much I love my neighbors and community, bought an identical condo and am in the middle of a total remodel. (it is coming along beautifully)

I joined the local recreation center where I am able to continue my daily swim routine of 1 to 1.5 miles 6 days a week.

For the past month or so, I have been struggling with a continuing my healthy diet and have gained about 5 pounds. I can't seem to get my head back into my mindset that eating healthy food and appropriate portions is worth it. I have kind of a "F- it"attitude.

I am still eating healthy foods, but the portions are out of control and I find myself reaching for food all of the time. I know it is a comfort thing but can't seem to make the mind shift back to healthy portions and proper times to eat.

I know that I'm under stress and juggling alot, but would love your thoughts on how to cope better and reign in my caloric intake.

Replies

• StarBright147
    StarBright147 Posts: 26 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Trying to keep unhealthy snacks out of the house. Make it inconvenient to get access to them. Out of sight out of mind. :smile:
  • pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    Options
    Well as I read your post I get a feeling something is missing. What happened a month or so ago that caused you to have a change in mindset? I know for me that out of control eating thing is both stress and emotionally triggered.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Thank you. Your words made me think about what has changed and I found that the fact that I'm spending much more money than Im used to is stressing me out. I am under budget with my remodel, but the act of writing big checks has thrown me off.
    Today I got my scale back out and put it on my counter, so I have no excuse to not weigh my food and over eat. I think/hope/pray that I am back on track.
    Thank you so much!

Hopefully, getting focused on logging again will help you wrap your head around all the changes you're going through right now. Best to catch it at 5 lbs gained. You can do it. Is there someplace in your new location where you can take some yoga or meditation? It might help to calm your mind a bit.
  • thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    I do a 45 minute yoga session every single morning, ending with a prayer for wisdom, strength and gratitude. It's one of the best parts of my day.

Thank you for your thoughts.
  • nutmegoreo
    Options
    I do a 45 minute yoga session every single morning, ending with a prayer for wisdom, strength and gratitude. It's one of the best parts of my day.

Thank you for your thoughts.

I love that you are doing that! I need to be more consistent. What about adding in a 15-30 minute session before bed as well?
  • Evelyn_Gorfram
    Evelyn_Gorfram Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Personally the Stress Scale doesn't fit my situation. It doesn't take into account how much I miss my pets, how disappointed I am in women who I considered good friends because only a couple contacted me to wish me well, (they are siding with my husband because their husbands are all golf buddies with mine), how much I miss my volunteer job, how little sleep I get, etc, etc, etc.

I know that 6 months down the road I will be in a much happier place. I will either get my old pets or adopt new ones, I already have some new friends, I will find a place to volunteer and I will be able to sleep without assistance. And that is where my focus is, down.the road.

In the meantime I will get up every morning, put one foot in front of the other and weigh & log my food.

Thank you for your thoughts and suggestions, they really did help.
    I am so sorry if I seemed to be minimizing your stress. My intention was just the opposite, but I think maybe I blew it there... :'(

When my mom left my dad, we (us kids too) lost our entire religious community. My father was a bigwig in church circles, and everybody sided with him. It hurt like hell.

May I ask why you're not getting enough sleep? Is it a matter of too little time, or are you having trouble with insomnia?

You mentioned volunteering. Assuming that the sleep thing isn't about too little time, have you considered volunteering at a local animal shelter? That might help with missing your pets, too.

• thereshegoesagain
    Options
    I don't feel you minimized my stress, I feel that the Stress Scale can't take into account the many things that add to stress.
    I'm unable to volunteer just yet since I'm in the middle of a major remodel which takes up much of my time, but I will definately look into it once things settle down and get more normal for me.
    My sleep issues vary, yesterday I woke up at 2:30am with my mind racing about whether my handyman can build an entertainment center or if I should buy one. I couldn't get back to sleep, so got up at 3:30 to do yoga, then spent some time online looking at ent. centers for sale before going for my swim. Today my damn smoke alarm started chirping at 3:00am and my ceilings are so high I need a ladder to change the batteries. I tend to have 3-4 bad nights of sleep, then get 1 really good night, rinse & repeat. I take various OTC sleep aids, but never 2 nights in a row sinceI have an addictive personality.
    I'll get through this, it's just a really sucky time in my life.
    On a good note, I had a man about 20 years younger than I hit on me in the market the other day. I have no intetest whatsoever, but it sure chirped me up.
    I thank you for your ideas and concern!
  • nutmegoreo
    Options
    I just thought that I'd update. Thanks to your advice, I am back on track and down 4 lbs.
    I'm back into my my habits of reading the MFP community postings in the morning, making good choices and weighing & logging everything.
    Many thanks!

This is lovely to hear. How are you doing as far as settling in?
  • thereshegoesagain
    Options
    I hope to.move into my new home in 2 weeks or so. Still having trouble sleeping and am emotional but keep looking ahead.
    Thank you for asking.
  • nutmegoreo
    Options
    I hope to.move into my new home in 2 weeks or so. Still having trouble sleeping and am emotional but keep looking ahead.
    Thank you for asking.

(((hugs))) I know we have the button, but it just doesn't seem like enough. Keep your chin up and keep moving forward. It will be okay, some day.