Less than 10 feet from my desk is...

Options

Replies

• SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Same here re the drawer of snacks, so far I've had 10 dates, 20g of sultana's, 20g of peanuts, 2 strawberries...I'm not even hungrey, 6 cups of tea...I'm not even hungry, the sweet craving won't switch off.

You could chew gum just so you have a flavor in your mouth. Sometimes that helps me so I don't resort to boredom/impulse eating.
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    I'll take those two M&S tubs to the right of the picture off your hands *nods* Oh yeahhhhh!
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    ...this

decbd5c1-9316-462d-a794-a45f3e963d62_zps3238d9ec.jpg

every single goddam day in varying quantities and types. It's driving me insane.

I really don't see the problem here. You are either committed to fitness and health or you are not. If you are truly committed, this shouldn't be a problem. If you are wavering, ok, yeah, maybe. But if that was 100 feet away from your desk rather than on 10 feet, you will still have a problem with it until you are completely determined to get healthier and fitter.

But then again, if you are committed to your health and fitness, one small indulgence is not going to destroy anything.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    ...this

every single goddam day in varying quantities and types. It's driving me insane.

I really don't see the problem here. You are either committed to fitness and health or you are not. If you are truly committed, this shouldn't be a problem. If you are wavering, ok, yeah, maybe. But if that was 100 feet away from your desk rather than on 10 feet, you will still have a problem with it until you are completely determined to get healthier and fitter.

But then again, if you are committed to your health and fitness, one small indulgence is not going to destroy anything.

When you have to stare at a scene like this day in and day out it gets more than just tempting. To me, it's starting to become disgusting and irritating to look at things like this everyday. I am more than 100% committed, but seeing things like this EVERYDAY for 8+ HOURS- it gets under your skin a little.
  • Stlarenas
    Stlarenas Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    ....this morning, Krispy Kreme glazed and chocolate donut holes. Lord help me :)
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    ...this

I have to agree with this comment. My office is notorious for daily food traps (people bringing in treats they picked up on vacation, regularly attended candy dishes, birthday gatherings, snack machine on the way to the bathroom, etc.) and I either fit it into my day, or ignore/decline the offer.

If it's truly case of proximity, I would do what others have suggested and see if there is another place in the office where it can be kept.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    ....this morning, Krispy Kreme glazed and chocolate donut holes. Lord help me :)
    I'm mostly reading kcal kcal kcal kcal kcal when glancing over this sentence. I've had the worst sugar cravings all my life until about a week ago when something finally clicked and balance began to be found. I agree with Calliope610.
  • Sweetsugar0424
    Sweetsugar0424 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of putting it all in a box so that it's not staring you in the face. My office has lots of stuff in the lunch room quite often too, but I am usually able to convince myself to walk away and eat something else that I'd planned for my day as that will just make me feel like crap.

As for why people bring it in to work, it's quite often that they don't want it either so they dump it on everyone else because it just wouldn't be right to throw it away, especially if it was a gift. We need to start realizing that if it's not good for us, it's not good for anyone else and be willing to dispose of things if we can't handle having them around and having small doses.
  • stevepax
    stevepax Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I work at home full time. 10 feet from me is my own full pantry and refrigerator. And yes, there's plenty of sugar and junk stuff in there too (I have a wife and kids, too). It's hard sometimes, for sure.
  • Sparkie134
    Sparkie134 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    It found its way to this end of the office for the same reason's just before I started.

Throw it out? I'd be eaten as an alternative.

I don't wanna make a fuss you know, technically I guess there are 2 choices; eat it or leave it....it's bloody hard.

Be strong!
    I run the front desk at my work and people kept putting a candy dish there. I told them to move it to the breakroom. They didn't, so I did. Im sure someone didn't like it, but I don't like being over weight and feeling crappy when I eat sugar. So the bowl was moved.
  • Sparkie134
    Sparkie134 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    What you can do also is grab one or two things a day and toss it in the trash near you so they don't notice and by the end of the week it's all gone and put a note do not replace these items or move to another location. Luckly they put all that stuff in the break room at my job so it's not near me.

Ha ha. I love this. Or maybe just move it a foot away periodically throughout the day
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    We need to start realizing that if it's not good for us, it's not good for anyone else and be willing to dispose of things if we can't handle having them around and having small doses.

Yeah, that thought went through my head when someone suggested donating unwanted, suitably wrapped goodies to a food bank. In general, poor people eat a crappier diet than we do, anyway, because they get whatever is cheap and filling, and most food banks are stocked with processed foods. I hate to throw more bad stuff at them.
  • aRunnerandaRider
    Options
    Chewing gum usually helps me. Extra dessert delights actually has some pretty good flavors. Although the idea sounded kind of gross at first, I like the apple pie flavor.

Or maybe you could put out something healthy--like a bowl of apples/oranges or veggies and dip-- next to the sugary treats. Perhaps your coworkers will get the message, or even appreciate a healthier alternative.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    I don't wanna make a fuss you know, technically I guess there are 2 choices; eat it or leave it....it's bloody hard.

Talk to your supervisor and tell'em you have a health problem and need the goodies to be moved into a break room or some other location. Don't elaborate. Your weight is a health problem if it can't be controlled. You are not lying.

YOU are what is important here, you're health is worth it. Fight for your rights.

You are not saying they can't have it, only it must be moved away from you.

I am more aggressive, I have just moved crap in my eyesight at work to other locations. I also bring in healthy alternatives that I can eat to share. Not a cheap solution, but what ever works!
  • hhill83
    hhill83 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    My god you must have willpower! I'd give in eventually Esp when it's a tough day at work. Glad I work in my own dept at times like that!
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    what would happen if you just threw all of it out?
    Hydra would happen.

I marvel at your response. :laugh:
  • emc916
    emc916 Posts: 77
    Options
    ...this

Ooooh Lemon Tart! I think most that work in an office have to deal with this. I was working with a user just a couple days ago and they were having a bday celebration at 9am. Cake, ice cream, cookies, bagels, etc etc. Kept asking if I wanted some. It's like that everyday though. Krispy Kreme right when I walk in. Coffee Cake in the breakroom. Enough discipline and it won't even phase you after a while.
  • Vivian06703188
    Vivian06703188 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    If she threw it all away everyone in the office would hate her and it would probably end up with her being fired. That is a very selfish thing to do to your coworkers. I think I would explain that I was watching my weight and politely ask if it could be moved. People need to realize the world does not revolve around you just because you are watching your weight. It goes back to the old saying only you are responsible for what goes in your mouth. The office is not forcing it down your throat. Take responsibility for your actions.
  • sunshyncatra
    sunshyncatra Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I hate that!!! I'm avoiding donuts and bagels in the break room this morning. They are a day old, so I keep telling myself they must be stale.
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    In my office I work reception, I just kindly asked for people not to leave sweets in the reception area to avoid crumbs (not knowing it is to avoid giving me an ideas). also I love sweet teas, takes care of my sweet tooth without the guilt.

I have a tea shop near work that sells loose leaf teas and I have a array of flavors, my fav being chocolate mint flavored black tea.

if all else fails, leave a post-it on you monitor "do not eat the sweets"