Fish recipes

Options
Athijade
Athijade Posts: 3,244 Member
Hey all!

I am looking to add more fish to my diet (lean protein, tasty, and cooks fast) but I find I am in a rut. Pretty much I make teriyaki salmon or a parmesan pan cooked tilapia. That's it. So I need some ideas. I am pretty much open to any kind of fish, but I don't know how to cook it! Thanks for any suggestions and recipes!

Replies

• madmadviking
    madmadviking Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    poached halibut in an electric pan is super easy. Putting the temp right at where you want the fish cooked makes it really hard to overcook it.
  • swirlybee
    swirlybee Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I like my fish pan-seared and then just make up a sauce to go with it. Here are a couple sauce that I like:

Red Bell Pepper Sauce
    1 large red bell pepper
    1 shallot (or half a red onion)
    1 sprig basil
    1 clove garlic
    chicken broth
    salt and pepper
    hot sauce, optional

Roast the red bell pepper whole or cut up the peppers then fry them in a pan. Add the shallot and garlic. Then add basil and salt and pepper to taste. Throw everything in the blender until smooth.

Lemon Herb Sauce
    1 cup dry white wine , chardonnay recommended
    1/3 cup shallots , minced
    1/2 cup unsalted butter , cut into 1/2 inch cubes, chilled
    3 tablespoons dill (or thyme, parsley, onion or any combination thereof), chopped fresh
    2 teaspoons lemon zest
    3 teaspoons lemon juice
    kosher salt , to taste

In a small saucepan, heat wine, and shallots over medium-high heat, until reduced to 2 tablespoons, about 12-15 minutes. Turn off the heat. Gradually add each cube of butter into the reduction, whisking each piece to create a thicker emulsified sauce. Add the chopped dill, lemon zest and lemon juice into the sauce, whisking to combine. Taste the sauce and season with salt as needed.

Chinese Stir Fry Sauce
    1 tbsp soy sauce
    1 tbsp oyster sauce (or you can sub out with black bean sauce or hoisin sauce, or skip if you can't find any of these]
    1 tbsp sugar
    1 tbsp cornstarch
    1/4 cup chicken stock
    hot sauce/chili flakes, optional

Mix all ingredients. Deglaze pan with white wine (Chinese Shaoxing wine or Japanese Sake or chardonnay). Then put all ingredients in the pan until thickened, usually about a minute.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,605 Member
    Options
    My mother's Chinese contact fried fish recipe. I do this a lot for dinner parties. You can even accidentally break the fish and it still presents beautifully. My mom would use whole carp. i've done this with everything from whole individual salmon trouts to tilapia fillets. I'm doing it with sea bream fillets on the weekend for a dinner guest.

For 4 diners, finely dice 4 spring onions (both green and white parts) and a cubic inch of ginger. If doing this in advance put the chopped ginger in a deep bowl and then cover with the green onion which prevents discoloration. My mom would have finely julienned everything but it is easier just to finely dice.

About 10 minutes before you want to eat cook the fish until barely done by poaching in acidulated water or zapping in the microwave. Place fish in a serving dish with a rim. Cover with the chopped herbs. Sprinkle on something acidic (lemon or vinegar), something alcholic (sake, chinese rice wine, or dry sherry), a large pinch of sugar, several large glugs of light soy sauce. Bring to the table. In the meantime heat up 1/3 cup of vegetable oil as hot as you can get it (use your nose, it should just start to smoke). Pour the hot oil over the damp herbs to blend the flavours. There will be a lot dramatic sizzling noises.

Serve with rice. Most of the oil ends up staying in the serving dish.