Weak shoulders and knee

Ever since I started my journey at 264 lbs (218 lbs right now and I am a 28 years old male and 6.1 feet tall) with weight training two things kept unchanged. One are my shoulders. Almost every part of my body got stronger, but I still struggle with my shoulders. I try to strengthen it bit by bit, but compared to the rest of my arms it's as weak as when I started.

My other problem is my knee (specifically my right knee). Even though I trained my legs and its considered to be my strongest bodypart, when it comes to squats or anything similar I get a strong piercing pain. Like last time I tried jumping ropes and after the first jump I felt the pain and couldn't do anything that requires me to bend my knee. Standing or sitting is fine.

People keep telling me that both get stronger and my knee will feel less pain as I lose weight. Does anyone have/had the same issues?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    When you say that your shoulders are weak, what do you mean, or how are you measuring that? Is it based on weight you're lifting or how fast you are progressing with that weight? If that's the case, keep in mind that your shoulders are relatively small muscles and it is normal to progress more slowly with them. On some exercises, you may find that the weight you use seems super low even.

As for your knee, my husband tore is meniscus last year so when I read what you wrote, I immediately cringed and thought about that. That, I would definitely get looked at rather than chalking it up to being out of shape, just needing to get stronger, etc.
  • Calildur
    Calildur Posts: 27 Member
    I measure it by the fact that lifting my arms even without weight feels bad and exhaust me after a few lifts. Whereas my arms other parts developed exponentionally since I started it.

I'm about to see a doctor soon with both of my issues.
  • bustercrabby
    bustercrabby Posts: 66 Member
    As someone who struggles with chronic knee pain, I can say from experience that losing weight is one of the best things you can do to help alleviate knee pain. It is not a cure all, however. I've dropped eighty pounds over the last year and it has indeed helped.

The fact that you are going to a doctor is one of the best things you can do as well.

There are more arm chair physicians out there then there are real doctors. There are certain things that can be gleaned from these folks, but one must know when to see a pro.

I am not a doctor, nor do I pretend to be.
  • hawkmancody
    hawkmancody Posts: 63 Member
    I had a bad accident while playing softball about 6 years ago and somehow my left kneecap ended up on the side of my leg. With a friend holding down my leg i pushed it back into place with some effort. I was on crutches for 3 weeks and couldn't run for about 6 months. Probably should have went and seen a doctor about it but couldn't afford it. It is still weaker then my right however climbing up and down ladders has helped significantly the last 2 years. My point being you do not want to injure your knee. If it is hurting while doing squats check your form. If your form is correct then I would definitely go see a doc about that. As for the shoulders maybe check out athlean x on YouTube he has some killer shoulder workouts. Sorry for the wall of text.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    A physical therapist can recommend knee and shoulder exercises. Maybe try swimming for a while.