Anyone else addicted to Shakshouka?

If you haven’t tried it, do! It’s basically a spiced red sauce and then you poach eggs right into the sauce, and serve it over your choice of carb (I like a slice of pumpernickel under mine). It’s great for at least 3 reasons:
1. Red sauces are great for adding veggies to the diet. I usually purée a whole red bell pepper to add to my shakshouka sauce.
2. Protein, veggies, small amount of carbs and fat. Pretty much exactly the ratios I want in my diet, and the egg is poached which means you don’t ya e to sit there and wonder how many ounces of spray canola you have to factor in
3. It’s so easy. I can’t stress this one enough, it has become my weeknight “I’m too tired to cook” food. The sauce freezes well, too!

What are some of your favorite lesser known dishes? My recipe for shakshouka in the comments!

Replies

• RonyMack
    RonyMack Posts: 131 Member
    I thought this was going to be about a new female hip hop artist.
    Mexico has "huevos ahogados" which means drowned eggs. Eggs poached in adobo sauce, or just simmering tomato and onion salsa. A delicious change from plain old scrambled eggs. I make it every once in a while and dip toast into it, Yum.
  • scalebeater
    scalebeater Posts: 65 Member
    Totally addicted - shakshuka is the best!! Don't forget the cayenne!
  • smolmaus
    smolmaus Posts: 442 Member
    Yesssssss, I love shakshouka. It's the perfect brunch, or a perfect hangover breakfast and you know what, it sounds good for dinner tonight too! I make chickpea flour flatbreads with mine, just chickpea flour, baking powder, seasoning and water cooked like a pancake and if you put the same spices in the bread as you do the tomato sauce it is unreal.

Try it with smoked paprika is my personal top tip.
  • madwells1
    madwells1 Posts: 510 Member
    I love shakshouka. Unfortunately for me, when I read the post my mind went straight to Shake Shack for some reason. I guess the universe is telling me something....
  • kayak4water
    kayak4water Posts: 155 Member
    I've had Shakshouka, courtesy of a house guest!

Lest anyone shy from this recipe because you don't have pumpernickel bread, fret not--you'll love this with other breads as well as rice, quinoa, potatoes, pasta, etc.

Also, beware that acidic ingredients like tomatoes/tomato paste can mess up the seasoning of cast iron cookware--I don't guarantee it will yours, YMMV. I often use tomato ingredients sparsely, in the form of sun dried tomatoes. I often season with a curry of turmeric, cumin seed, mustard seed, cayenne pepper, cardamom seed. Use the ground spices if biting on incompletely ground seeds turns you off. Or just use a tablespoon or so of pre-mixed curry powder and remember the brand so you can get a consistent dish.
  • cleeo2
    cleeo2 Posts: 1 Member
    Trying this tomorrow. Thanks!
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Yes! Love it! I sautée some diced zucchini and a little onion in my small cast iron pan, add some salsa (some store bought ones are delicious) and break a couple of eggs on the top. Into the oven for ten minutes and yum yum! You can also add some potato, or even a diced corn tortilla, but if youre staying lower in carbs you don’’t have to. A little cheese on top is nice, but again, not absolutely necessary. A very versatile dish!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    I love it too. I add whatever veggies I can and I season with smoked Spanish paprika. I am gluten free, so I eat mine over some white beans (idea courtesy of a previous MFP post), but I usually buy a nice loaf of crusty bread for my husband.