whats your biggest challenge? lets discuss

Options

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Probably the inability to close my hands fully due to swelling or feel my grip when I bench or deadlift is my most notable challenge.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    type what your biggest challenge is when it comes to meals or workouts? i will provide some answers! include your goal and how long you have been trying

I'm not entirely sure of the best fueling strategy for a 50 mile ultra with a 10K and Half Marathon the following morning.

What sort of suggestions would you have?

Are you going for time or just for fun? And what do you eat currently? Do you carb load? Any cramps?

For the 50mi I'm aiming for less than 13 hours. There is quite a lot of elevation on the route. For something like that, even with carb loading, I'm going to burn out of glycogen by about 3 hours, so I'd be curious what you think about the intake options during the race.

I'm also wondering what to eat after the 50mi, that's going to consume a lot of energy and I'm anticipating eating a lot before the races the next morning.

• MeanderingMammal
    Options
    type what your biggest challenge is when it comes to meals or workouts? i will provide some answers! include your goal and how long you have been trying

I'm not entirely sure of the best fueling strategy for a 50 mile ultra with a 10K and Half Marathon the following morning.

Are you going for time or just for fun? And what do you eat currently? Do you carb load? Any cramps?

For the 50mi I'm aiming for less than 13 hours. There is quite a lot of elevation on the route. For something like that, even with carb loading, I'm going to burn out of glycogen by about 3 hours, so I'd be curious what you think about the intake options during the race.

I'm also wondering what to eat after the 50mi, that's going to consume a lot of energy and I'm anticipating eating a lot before the races the next morning.

Are you taking any supplements?

Just multi-vitamins
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    People on forums who think they can help.

Everyone thinks they can help. Don’t you?
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    I eat at a maintenance level during race week, being sure that I'm consuming plenty of liquids. My meals on the day before a race(triathlon) are as follows: A full breakfast that includes a significant amount of carbohydrates, followed by a lighter lunch and dinner to avoid any potential stomach upset. For hot weather races, I consume 16 oz water with packet of Precision Hydration 1500 electrolytes before bed. On race morning, breakfast (oatmeal, banana w/PB) is consumed 2.5 hrs before starting gun and includes a second dose of PH 1500 to top off electrolytes. Just prior to race start, often consume a gel and water. After exiting the swim, I consume 255-320calories/hr during the bike split, mostly in liquid form (EFS) supplemented by Clif shot blocks for added electrolytes. During the run segment, I consume mostly "on course" offerings from the aid stations, including bananas, pretzels, chicken broth etc. This has generally worked fine at the 70.3 distance, except in high temps, and it was also not adequate at the 140.6 distance. Symptoms have been dizziness, yawning and loss of focus more so than cramping.
  • MeanderingMammal
    edited September 2018
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »

I relied heavily on the glycemic index (GI) foods. When i carb loaded day before or hours before i ate from the low end spectrum of the GI and i would up my electrolyte drinks and foods. I also had some supplement sponsors so was on high carb low protien shakes and i would mix fruit in them.
    During the runs i would have some foods high on the GI. Your body can only store so much calories when it comes to sugars so thats why i liked shakes.

With my workouts i did a good amout of loaded weight workout and superset to increase my lactate thresh hold and VO2 max with metabolic type workouts (ball slams, leg to upper body work) and a *kitten* load of stretch techniques

If I'm perfectly honest I'd probably have simply said that's outside my realm of expertise. Good luck to you.

Fixed it for you.

Indeed.
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,110 Member
    Options
    pcos