Uncontrollable hunger from running

Options
I have started running most days for up to an hour, and now find that I need to eat more calories than before. Well, I am also even hungrier now, and find myself over eating for the past couple days! It's all healthy stuff, I just find that I get so ravenous. Also, I think it might be in my mind sometimes, because I see that I have more calories and go a little crazy with my new freedom. Any tips?

Replies

• lindustum
    lindustum Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Well the point of exercise during fat loss is (among other things, like.. FUN) to build up muscle which means you need more calories to sustain these. So it's only logical that you are more hungry.

Have you re-calculated your TDEE and BMR? Lost inches? Perhaps body fat changes?
  • coffeepuff
    coffeepuff Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem! I run around dinner time, so my solution is to split dinner into 2-3 meals. My "rules" are that I have to drink a glass of water before I drink my smoothie (since I think thirst has a strong connection w/ my overeating).

I usually start with a protein smoothie (around 370 calories). An hour or so after that, I'll have an open-faced chicken sandwich or some tuna on toast or something (I usually feel lazy and don't really want to make more food, lol). And another hour or two hours after that, I'll have a protein bar or some oatmeal and nuts. If I know I'm going to get more food in an hour, I binge less and end up eating less than if I try to avoid eating more food and then go nuts.

I also try to throw lettuce into everything to "trick" my brain into thinking I'm eating more. Spaghetti? Nah, spaghetti and lettuce. Turkey sandwich? Nah, turkey and double lettuce sandwich. etc ;)

This is not always a successful plan, so I am open to suggestions/advice, as well! :)
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    I always do the "drink more water first". Also, after a snack or meal , I'll drink more water and wait an hour to see if it is real hunger. I will also check my macros. Generally I am out of balance if I get that constant hunger thing.
  • nikamar
    nikamar Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I'll just say that the mentioned uncontrollable post-run hunger has made me gain about 13 lbs while actively training and running 70km a week.
    Then again, I was terrible with portions and calorie estimates and thought that if you run as much as I do you can binge on anything you wish. . :noway:

For a post.- run meal I suggest a smoothie, oatmeal with berries on top, almonds, glass of chocolate milk (it's actually a great recovery drink) etc.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    You're burning calories...so of course your body is hungry. While it's good to be in a deficit, running for an hour probably burns hundreds of calories for you. So eat some of the burned calories back.
  • kristy6ward
    kristy6ward Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Me too! and it's not even only on days I run, but the rest of the week as well. The problem is that in the past two weeks, after a particularly large calorie spike day (fridays), I'll find that I've actually lost weight for the week when I weigh on Saturday. So I don't know whether I should keep indulging the hunger or try and enforce will power and not scarf every calorie I've burned. I don't want to end up seeing gains.
  • 40mpw
    40mpw Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I ran for 7 years and had the same problem until I quit running this summer. I ran up to 40 miles per week and binged constantly. If I burned 500 calories on a run, I would get home and eat 1000. Imagine my surprise when I once read that running helps curb your appetite for several hours after a run! Sorry I don't have any advice for you, just wanted to let you know that you are not the only one having this experience.
  • lagraing
    lagraing Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Wow, this is exactly what's been going on with me! I started running with a group - training for a marathon in November. We run 4 days a week, (doing 4/6/4/8 miles a week at this point) and holy cow, now I remember what a hunger pang feels like! :| Seriously though, I'm starting to track my calories more closely. I thought I was doing a good job before but honestly, I haven't lost any weight so concentrating on changing my habits to fruit/veggies/meat (and trying to get rid of wasted calories like alcohol and sugar.) New habits are so tough .. can't wait till it's old-hat. ;)
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Your diary is not open so its hard to tell exactly. My guess would be you are eating somewhere around 1200 calories and by adding in cardio (which burns calories) you have pushed your deficit even further. As a result your hunger is increasing.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Are you eating back your calories that you burn while running? If not, you should be. It makes sense that you get hungrier because your body burns a lot of calories running and it wants them back! lol
  • RunningRichelle
    RunningRichelle Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/case-against-cardio/#axzz2bU75e5ML

I started running about two years ago this fall- I've ran numerous 5k's, 10k's, two halfs, and a full. For the first year-ish, I didn't count calories, and didn't lose one ounce or inch. When I did start counting cals, I was miserable, because at the end of the day I was still hungry even though I was at my limit calorie-wise.

The above link fits my story perfectly, and maybe it might fit yours, too.

Best wishes.
  • jr235
    jr235 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Running makes me ravenous as well!

After a run I have a BIG glass of whatever, sometimes several, and a smoothie. Usually its lowfat laban (fermented yogurt drink with probiotic cultures) with some fruit and a few almonds mixed in. If I do a late no more meals in the day run sometimes I add a few chocolate chips in there to make it a dessert.

Before you go for a run you should have a bit of a snack as well. I can't eat too much before or else I feel sick, but a piece of whole grain toast with peanut butter and a piece of fruit is a good choice for me. For my actual meal before a run (such as lunch) I like to make that will keep me full for a long time. These are meals involving lentils or beans, sometimes a small portion of meat, and lots of veggies.

Besides that I have learned to enjoy the increased appetite. Food tastes a million times better when you're hungry, and after so long of mindlessly stuffing my face when I wasn't hungry with junk while that little voice in the back of my head was saying "this is a very bad idea" its excellent to sit down to a proper healthy meal while being actually hungry and having exercised.

I'm absolutely not saying starve yourself, but if you're like me you may enjoy having more of an appetite by the time your meal rolls around. Once you get used to the feeling of being hungry (and I never used to be hungry - it took some getting used to) its fine and enjoyable, because you know you will really enjoy your next meal.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Ive found that running when Im a bit hungry removes my appetite and it stays that way, I will still binge sometimes but usually not related to hunger related to ice cream.
  • drosen32
    drosen32 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I suggest eating something before you run. I bike now, but used to marathon, so I know your ordeal. Sometimes, a bite to eat prior to exercise helps. My two cents.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    I saw one diet researcher who said excercising works to keep weight off after maintenance. But, his research showed it made dieters more hungry and it didn't help in the weight loss aspect. I know that's controversial. But I do think if extreme exercise is making you hungry and you're over eating.. ..you're shooting yourself in the foot if you want to lose pounds.

I exercise..but keep it to something that doesn't make me super hungry and I time it so I eat my lunch right afterwards.

btw.. my most successful weight loss effort was accomplished without exercise. It amazed me.
  • lisajsund
    lisajsund Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    What is your basal metabolic rate and your calorie goal? It's possible you truly are not eating enough. When I hit the 10 lb mark (should be next week!), I'm upping my calories by about 200/day. I'm training for a 1/2 marathon and, even on rest days, the body needs the fuel to recover. Other thing - do you eat your exercise calories back and make sure you are getting close to you your net calorie goal?
  • ayalowich
    ayalowich Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I'll just say that the mentioned uncontrollable post-run hunger has made me gain about 13 lbs while actively training and running 70km a week.
    Then again, I was terrible with portions and calorie estimates and thought that if you run as much as I do you can binge on anything you wish. . :noway:

For a post.- run meal I suggest a smoothie, oatmeal with berries on top, almonds, glass of chocolate milk (it's actually a great recovery drink) etc.

And you wonder why you have gained 13 pounds? Just looking at that post run meal has me SMH.

I've run for about 25 years, and I get being incredibly hungry after longer efforts. For the most part, we've earned it but you do need to be careful about over doing it.
  • touchofred
    touchofred Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Upping my protein and fat intake and lowering my carbs slightly solved this problem for me. Everyone is different though, just got to find what works for you.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    know this feeling, I could eat the house.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Running is not good for weight loss. I have a much harder time losing body fat when my mileage is up than when I'm barely running at all. When you're running you have to fuel the running. The body's acceptable calorie deficit seems to be smaller. Eat the calories you burn from running and create your deficit from your NEAT.

So my advice is eat all your exercise calories when you're running. At least BMR + exercise calories daily.