Psyllium husk recipes!!! Get in here!

Options
pinggolfer96
pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
edited October 2018 in Recipes
So lately I’ve been hooked on low carb psyllium husk protein waffles! Just been making them with protein powder (quest), the p husk, some Greek yogurt or pumpkin (or both)....etc. just a very simple protein waffle. I was wondering if anyone else had any awesome recipes that tend to be high volume/ low carb/ low cal that incorporates psyllium? Thanks! I have some ideas but just curious on others as well!

Replies

• pinggolfer96
    edited September 2018
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    What is it?
    Why do you use it?
    What does it do?
    How does it taste?

It’s meant to be used somewhat as a fiber supplement cause it’s main macro composition is carbs with most of, if not all fiber based. It somewhat acts as xanthan gum/ chia seeds/ flax seeds. It’s a great binder/ thickener for cooking and absorbs a lot of liquid. It doesn’t taste like anything, maybe a little bit of a nutty taste to it, but pretty bland. I personally use it to make no/ low carb protein desserts.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I just learned a lot. It’s a soluble fiber giant. The plant is in the same family as the plantain.

https://www.slideshare.net/mobile/KanchanThakur6/isabgol-plantago-ovata
  • pinggolfer96
    Options
    All I know is it makes some damn good protein waffles (in terms of helping texture)
  • pinggolfer96
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I just learned a lot. It’s a soluble fiber giant. The plant is in the same family as the plantain.

Yeap, I read a lot about it too. It has absolutely no place in my diet nor the things I make.

Surprised considering you make those protein desserts.....
    I found psyllium to give the best texture for the highest volume/ macro friendly recipes
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options

Yeap, I read a lot about it too. It has absolutely no place in my diet nor the things I make.

I found psyllium to give the best texture for the highest volume/ macro friendly recipes

Do you prefer it to Xanthum Gum? Higher volume? Are you also taking in 'extra' liquid to ensure everything doesn't 'stop' so to speak?
  • pinggolfer96
    Options
    vegmebuff wrote: »

Do you prefer it to Xanthum Gum? Higher volume? Are you also taking in 'extra' liquid to ensure everything doesn't 'stop' so to speak?

I prefer it, but I think each has its place. Xanthan gum is more of a gummy thickening agent, where’s as psyllium is more of an absorbing thickening agent. So psyllium has higher volume cause of more absorption. And I already drink 2-3 gallons of liquid a day.....💪🏻
  • pinggolfer96
    Options
    m9ngcm4ldg9z.jpeg
    agtf4oude6xg.jpeg
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Recipe for your waffles? Like, how much each of p powder, psyllium and Greek yoghurt?

A few grams of psyllium in protein shakes made with water somehow magically makes them better. Just need to watch the amount (like literally 3 grams of fine powder is about perfect) so it doesn't thicken too much.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    I've used a lot of recipes from Greek goes Keto. Primarily through the blog, only now some recipes are on YouTube.
    https://youtu.be/S0fQ38pTN7o
    https://youtu.be/ZLT_PND6kXI
    https://youtu.be/AGwzntLfRM0
  • pinggolfer96
    Options

Reason being... I get more than enough fiber as is from what I eat now and here with this ingredient I would have to find ways to use, which as I see it, is more trouble than its worth. Its in a lot of Keto recipes, maybe look into those?

Did you try subbing it for xanthan gum in protein fluff?

Not yet, that’s what I’m going to try next.

• Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Op, I don't do low carb, so sorry I won't be much help as far answering your question...
    But, your waffles do look pretty good and look more like the real thing than most other low carb waffles I've seen. I do like to try different recipes with unusual ingredients sometimes, out of curiosity. Would you mind listing your recipe for us?
    Also, I've never tried psyllium husk? Is it an expensive ingredient?
    Thanks and good luck!
  • pinggolfer96
    Options
    sarjenki wrote: »
    Op, I don't do low carb, so sorry I won't be much help as far answering your question...
    But, your waffles do look pretty good and look more like the real thing than most other low carb waffles I've seen. I do like to try different recipes with unusual ingredients sometimes, out of curiosity. Would you mind listing your recipe for us?
    Thanks and good luck!

I’m def not low carb either lol but it just ends up being more macro friendly when cutting (currently bulking but love waffles and it’s easy good protein waffle lol). But it’s super easy, the base of the waffle is this:

-20-30 grams of protein powder (I found quest or casein blend works best)
    -5 grams of husk
    -130 grams of egg whites
    -baking soda
    -oz of Greek yogurt(optional)

That’s literally the base, then I like to add to it: things like vanilla extract, sea salt, stevia, shredded carrots, canned pumpkin, sf maple syrup, blueberries.....etc. then either eat plain or make a protein waffle breakfast sandwich or top with Greek yogurt...etc.
    It’s not expensive. I found mine at sprouts for 10 dollars for a pound. Ibe noticed prices vary though at different stores
  • erjones11
    erjones11 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Did you calculate the Calories and such?
  • MommaGem2017
    MommaGem2017 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    So what does this do here? You add it just because or does it serve a purpose other than adds fiber?

I do alot of gluten-free baking, and psyllium husk is used to make a gluten-free baked item (more specifically, yeast breads) fluffier and lighter, but it doesn't have an inherent nutritional value.

• pinggolfer96
    Options
    sarjenki wrote: »
    Thanks and good luck!

I’m def not low carb either lol but it just ends up being more macro friendly when cutting (currently bulking but love waffles and it’s easy good protein waffle lol). But it’s super easy, the base of the waffle is this:

-20-30 grams of protein powder (I found quest or casein blend works best)
    -5 grams of husk
    -130 grams of egg whites
    -baking soda
    -oz of Greek yogurt(optional)

That’s literally the base, then I like to add to it: things like vanilla extract, sea salt, stevia, shredded carrots, canned pumpkin, sf maple syrup, blueberries.....etc. then either eat plain or make a protein waffle breakfast sandwich or top with Greek yogurt...etc.
    It’s not expensive. I found mine at sprouts for 10 dollars for a pound. Ibe noticed prices vary though at different stores

So what does this do here? You add it just because or does it serve a purpose other than adds fiber?

Trust me I get enough fiber in my diet lol, I like it cause it almost acts like chia seeds would except it’s pretty much pure fiber (1 net carb) and acts as a thickener/ binder/ and really soaks up a lot of liquid. I find the consistency is better with it and the taste is almost kinda nutty which I like. It bakes/ cooks really well as compared to xanthan imo
  • lililomo2
    lililomo2 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
  • pinggolfer96
    Options
    lililomo2 wrote: »

Thanks I’ve really been working on my squats!

💪🏻😝🙈
    Lol I had to.....
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    Options
    lililomo2 wrote: »

Thanks I’ve really been working on my squats!

💪🏻😝🙈
    Lol I had to.....

Maybe it's the psyllium husk