Protein cereal u.k

Options
Can anyone recommend a high protein low fat cereal. I’m just about finished my choc one. It was given, tasted good but rubbish for macros

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Most protein cereals are not really that great in the macro department, and many use cheaper ingredients. What you could try is making protein milk (so adding protein powder to milk, mixing it well) then adding that to a cereal of your choice.
  • dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I like the Aldi Protein Granola (Nuts & Fruit version) - as mentioned above not overly great if you looking to control macros but I like it. I tend to make it with semi-skimmed lactose free milk which is lower fat and sugar than normal whole milk. Something like FUEL Protibricks are low fat - I hate normal weetabix type cereals and can't imagine these are any tastier!

If you really conscious about macros and quality ingredients definitely think recommendation above is way to go.
  • writer41899
    writer41899 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    try Julian's Pro Granola.....it's taste like dog kibble but not bad with coffee. hi protein, low carb
  • dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Ingredients/nutrition for Aldi "Nuts, Pumpkin Seeds & Fruit Protein Granola"...
    3ys4qj75xcnn.jpg
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    I eat the protein weetabix. It tastes like weetabix, if you like that sort of thing (which I do so it's not a problem). I have it with skyr yogurt (higher protein, lower fat) and milk.
  • joemac1988
    joemac1988 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    Cereal, even one considered "high protein", is not a significant source of protein.

What you COULD do if you want to accomplish that is use a protein shake with whey and skim milk instead of plain milk.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I have the chocolate chip protein weetabix, weetabix chocolate protein crunch - which is my favourite - or the fuel 10k weetabix or flakes. sadly the fuel 10k flakes seem to have been discontinued.

20g of protein for 300ish cals works nicely for me, and keep me going longer than regular cereal.
  • Tic78
    Tic78 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Another vote for protein weetabix but still prefer having oats with a protein shake instead
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I put cereal (granola or muesli) in my whey protein shake which is mixed with skimmed milk. My favourite breakfast before a big cycle ride (80g is a good sized portion).
    You could put in whatever cereal you enjoy and is low fat.
    IMHO goes best with vanilla flavoured shake but YMMV.

Cals / Carbs / Protein / Fat

d3t1xlw5ih9k.png
  • helengris82
    helengris82 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thank you 🙏
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    Protein and cereal are two concepts I would not place together. There is probably more protein in the milk one uses on the cereal than in the cereal itself, using rice or other dairy alternative may decrease the level. I think yoghurt is higher than milk for protein, certainly for iodine, contributing double to the recommended daily intake over milk. For fibre shredded wheat in biscuits or squares, win hands down.

Thank you, to the person who posted the picture of the back of a cereal packet. I found it disturbing it contains Soy which can be problematical for many because we Europeans can lack the appropriate enzyme to digest it.

Note, a 45 gram serving is 12 grams of protein with 20 grams of carbs of those 7.1 are sugars some of which could be integral to fruits, nuts, grain etc. In my view calling something "protein" when it holds 10 parts carbs to 6 of protein (10:6) is in my view very misleading.

Have you read the "Warning: although every effort has been made to remove stones and shell, some small fragments of stone or shell may remain?" This is human food, not parrot seed. Parrots have gizzards which use stones to break up seeds in the bird population! Being human, I and all of you do not have gizzards. I suggest that company cleans up its act more than some what. What a way to make money, up the weight by substituting shell or small stones? I wanted to think this product was available in some other country than the UK. Does it even meet our food standards?

If you want a protein breakfast probably keep to eggs, nuts, meats, legumes become more problematic because they are "probably" higher carbs. May be you would be best served to create a concoction of your own, you can do your own quality control, be sue of what it contains. A bag of oats, an amount of nuts chopped or fragmented, dried fruits of your choice, keep in the fridge. To this you could add a protein powder of your choice, to increase the protein levels, might be cheaper and you would know all sugar is from the fruit with much of its fibre.

Wow...
  • pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Cereal is a carb source, if you want a protein rich brekkie, eat a protein source.

An omelette or scrambled eggs is ideal.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    The Aldi ones already mentioned are good, but generally I just add whey powder to my porridge, and maybe some nuts
  • GreatApe2017
    GreatApe2017 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    If I want more protein for breakfast I tend to have a pot of high protein yoghurt.

Most uk supermarket stock a yoghurt called skyr

A 150 gram pot has
    81 calories of which 14 gram are from protein and they taste quite nice. I think being a yoghurt it's probably mostly ceasine protein. Also often a good price at 50p a pot.

Super easy and quick and you can even have two pots to make 28 grams of protein.

You can also buy 450 gram pots for £1 in unflavoured and you can mix whey into that and it tastes really nice. Like a soft serve ice cream but it's mostly protein

Mix 150 grams of the yoghurt and 20 grams chocolate whey mix the two together and you get a really tasty creamy ~30 gram protein ~180 calories snack and it works out to be roughly 50/50 ceasine and whey.

That's my go to snack when I am low for protein for a day or a particular meal.

Oh works well in protein shakes too to make them much thicker. Instead of 30 gram whey 200 gram water you can do 30 gram whey 50 gram skyr yoghurt 150 gram water. Instead of a watery whey shake you get a nicer thicker shake plus some additional protein.
  • helengris82
    helengris82 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Brilliant thank you