Keto!

Options
2»

Replies

• kayleen_longworth
    kayleen_longworth Posts: 147 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I know this is an older post, but for any newcomers - People need to be specific when they are listing/talking carbs. Are you talking total carbs or net carbs (Total carbs minus fiber)? Makes a big difference. 20g net carbs or less is the typical keto plan. This means your total carbs will be around 40-60g. <50g net carbs is a good low(er) carb plan. This is still a huge improvement over the standard American diet.

A single dinner roll can have as many as 38g total carbs (net ~ 36g). This is more than my entire day's worth of net carbs. I can enjoy so many more foods and be content with what I'm eating. I've been following keto/low carb since October 1, 2018 and have lost 24# with no added exercise. I'm planning to add in exercise eventually.

I have found I am much more content on the keto/low carb way of eating than I ever was on a low fat diet plan. I'm not starving between meals and am very content with what I do eat. I have fewer cravings and find it easy to just stay away from the chips, sweets, breads, pastas. Those are what got me to where I am anyway so they needed to go. Veggies and proteins are more than substantial.
  • JenVB22
    JenVB22 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I just started the KETO WOE yesterday. Didn't do too bad, ended the day at 21g Net carbs, but my overall calories and fats were too low. Still tricky reminding myself that fat is NOT the enemy, but actually a great friend :) Would love to hear how some of you get all your calories and fats in each day! BTW, I was not hungry at all.
  • kayleen_longworth
    kayleen_longworth Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    @JenVB22 I started Keto using another app, but recently got a fitbit that only syncs to MFP, so I am back here logging more in order to make all the apps work in my favor. I focus on my %, not so much hitting my limits. I do try to ensure that I am getting at least 1200 cals/day. I am conscious of where my grams are per day, but I'm not super strict about it. I try to maintain <19g net carbs a day, and to have my fats be more than my proteins. "Fat is a lever and protein is a goal". Fat keeps you full. Find what works best for you. Some people like more fats, others need more proteins, so do better with a few more net carbs.
  • LiLee2018
    LiLee2018 Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    It's really not that difficult to stay under 20net carbs once you're in it. It seems impossible when you first start, but you get in to the groove of things and it gets easier.
    I've been keto for 6m now and still going just as strong as day 1. I'm not super strict with it. I stay under 20 net carbs a day and I try to reach my protein every day, but other than that I don't worry too much. I still drink diet soda every day. I make keto friendly desserts if I'm craving something sweet, etc. Adjust whatever diet you're doing to fit with your life and what works to keep you eating healthier. It may not be perfect, but that's ok.
  • JenVB22
    JenVB22 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the tips! :smile: right now I'm focusing mostly on carbs, and keeping net at 20 or below. Still finding the right balance of fats over protien, they seem to go hand in hand! I know I will get it figured out and then it will be smooth sailing. Now, to get over this "keto flu"