Avocado toast

Options
2bassets
2bassets Posts: 193 Member
I would like to try making avocado toast, but have no idea what to put in the avocado. Ideas, please?

Replies

• missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I put in some cayenne pepper and dried Penzey’ toasted onions. I sometimes put in a chopped up hard boiled egg, salt & pepper.
  • taco_inspector
    taco_inspector Posts: 7,223 Member
    Options
    For me it's a fork! (with all due respect to @crazyravr) ...

I'll add minced red onion and bacon to my avocado (mashed with a fork).
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I love avocado toast with just a squeeze of lime juice and some salt. If I'm feeling fancier, I may use red chili flakes or sambal olek (a chili paste). It's also good with roasted garlic, arugula, thinly sliced red onion, or capers.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,210 MFP Moderator
    Options
    In #FTW! I have no idea why I've never thought of this before... Great ideas y'all!
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,368 Member
    Options
    I have never wasted the time to spread an avocado on a piece of burnt bread... I just cut the thing in half and dig in with a spoon (after a sprinkle of salt of course!).
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Just toast smeared with avocado is delicious 😋 I always add salt and pepper. Sometimes I add egg, raw onion, bacon, fried crispy onions, sauteed hot peppers or anything else leftover.

Now I'm hungry!
  • mortuseon_
    mortuseon_ Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I add garlic fried with chili flakes, salt, pepper, and lemon. Then I fry the bread/some tomatoes to go on top in the garlicky oil left behind!
  • daniellemania
    daniellemania Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    everything bagel seasoning, or i'll put cholula on top with some garlic salt :)
  • admaarie
    admaarie Posts: 4,297 Member
    Options
    Lime/lemon, black pepper, chilli flakes and a tomato on top!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,670 Member
    Options
    If you've got the time on the weekend some mashed roasted garlic is good mixed in with the avocado. Otherwise garlic powder.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    The secret is the bread...get delicious bread and just plain avocado.
  • richardatpalmer
    Options
    I toast the Avocado itself. smear with a trace of rich olive oil and place, cut side down on a blisteringly hot griddle pan. Leave until charred. YUM!
  • cheshiremask
    cheshiremask Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    On toast I put mashed avocado, an over-easy egg, and Trader Joe's Everything But the Bagel seasoning.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    I have never wasted the time to spread an avocado on a piece of burnt bread... I just cut the thing in half and dig in with a spoon (after a sprinkle of salt of course!).

A spoon? Are you spooning it out of the skin? I cut it in four and then peel the skin off completely.

Have never put it on toast, but will certainly try soon. Just got two from my neighbour's tree and will use them as soon as they ripen completely.

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    ccrdragon wrote: »

A spoon? Are you spooning it out of the skin? I cut it in four and then peel the skin off completely.

Have never put it on toast, but will certainly try soon. Just got two from my neighbour's tree and will use them as soon as they ripen completely.

I cut my avocados in half and then scoop it out with a spoon
  • erinlouise55
    erinlouise55 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Avocado mashed with lemon juice and feta on toast with a poached egg 😊
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    Options
    The secret is the bread...get delicious bread and just plain avocado.

yes and use flaked finishing salt too:) (Maldon or Smoked Maldon Sea Salt)
  • dechowj
    dechowj Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Toasted multi grain bread, sliced avocado, slice of tomato, shredded mozzarella cheese. Melt the cheese in a toaster oven. salt and pepper and enjoy.
  • Jadesfire93
    Jadesfire93 Posts: 92 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Good multigrain bread (I like Dave's powerseed), 1/2 an avocado + Sriracha and Creole mustard with a slice of sharp cheddar cheese.