Fast Food ::Healthy Options::

Options
I know I can google calories and fast food healthy stuff. But I'd rather hear from people who have grabbed a fast food plate or two and still come up with success on there weight loss goals.

Everyday I go to work at 530am and then I come home at around 4 - 5 pm. I get about 1hr 30 mins for lunch which is my dedicated gym time. So I have spent countless amounts of hours researching other options, as far as grabbing food on the go is concerned. Besides the fact you can of course always pack your own lunch or small snack. I mean, is Subway as healthy as they say, and do things like those chicken wraps, and salads from fast food places good for us who are cutting weight? What do you all think, and based on your own research what have you found?

The only thing I know of so far, that I actually eat is the Tendergrill Chicken Garden Salad, which weighs in at 220 calories before dressing. Believe me though you need dressing, because the darn chicken(although delicious) is dry as heck.

Replies

• thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I prefer Subway for a healthier form of eating out however their subs can become quite high in calories, fat and sodium depending on what you put on them.

I used to order a turkey sub.. no cheese but extra turkey to up the protein with the higher cals of the cheese. I would load up on the veggies and go lighter on the sauce. You can get some really healthy subs or some really unhealthy subs.

There is a pita place in my area that can make some really great stuff. Sort of the same idea as Subway but Pita form.

If you have the time the night before you could make something really similar for cheaper and less calories if that's what you wanted to do.

You can get relatively healthy things at places like McDonalds, Wendy's, etc. The chili at Wendy's isn't too high in cals... a grilled chicken wrap/salad/or burger (skip the fries, add a salad with a vinagarette) from McDonalds won't be too bad. You could also run into a grocery store if you have one between the gym and work... most will have things like premade salads, sandwiches, wraps, etc. When I used to go to the gym on lunch break I would stop in at the store across from my work, grab a bagged salad and a few slices of turkey or chicken from the deli. Come back to work, dump in the dressing to the bag.. shake and eat.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I like McDonald's Southwest salad without chicken. It has cheese and beans so I really don't need the chicken. It really doesn't need dressing either if you are going really low cal. I also grab an egg McMuffin or oatmeal from there if I have a rushed morning and didn't get to eat at home.
  • eblakes93
    eblakes93 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I just had breakfast at McDonalds with my Mom. Small orange juice, Egg McMuffin and a Fruit and Yogurt Parfait was 600 calories and full of protein, which I definitely need in the mornings.

Healthy is relative and means different things to different people. Can I meet my nutritional goals while eating McDonalds? Yes. Do I like how they their suppliers treat their animals, or the fillers they use, or the lack of organic produce? No, I don't.

I really like their new Chicken Wraps too - they run between 375-500 calories and have a decent amount of lettuce and some tomato and cucumber in them.

They also have a great meal builder online with all of their menu items.
  • mike_usmc
    mike_usmc Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I've looked at Subway and its good, I do like turkey too!! What kind of bread would you recommend? I know swiss cheese has no carbs, and I go for low/no carbs foor while eating, so thats a good thing. I do like Mcdonalds, but the breakfast taste fake and platic to me so I havent actually had that in years. I've never tried the wrap, although they look pretty good. Thanks for the advice and suggestions.
  • kgeiger141
    kgeiger141 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Subway is always a god choice, but if you're going for healthy, I would choose the wheat or flatbread. I always skip out on the cheese because, in my opinion, it's unnecessary calories when I'm getting a sauce on it anyway. I usually stick to oil/vinegar or sweet onion, both are lower calorie.

If I HAVE to go to McDonalds, I usually get a grilled chicken snack wrap. The new wraps are just a larger, more expensive version of this anyway, so I go with the smaller one and get a side salad.

I don't go to too many other fast food places, but if you get grilled chicken instead of fried and watch how much sauce you put on food items, you should be good to go! I think the most important thing is to just be concious of what you are eating.