Would short hair make my face look really fat?

Options
So I have been wanting to cut my hair short for years. The last time I had it short was when I was in 6th grade. Then I decided to grow it out long because I was getting fatter at the time and it just worked out that way. Well now i'm a sophomore in college and i'm a male. I have long hair but I really want to cut it short. I've lost a good bit of weight. (63 lbs) but im just 40 lbs shy of my goal. (200 lbs) Right now i'm at 242 lbs.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/600/c2ks.jpg/

This pic was taken about a week and a half ago. i've lost about 3-4 lbs since so my face might be a little thinner now than in this pic. But it should give you a general idea.

Replies

• laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    It might depend on the specifics of the haircut. If you have a good hairstylist they should be able to advise you. They ought to take your hair's growth pattern into consideration as well as your face shape to come up with a haircut that is flattering to your features.
  • KimINfortheWin
    KimINfortheWin Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I can't see it. The ad pop-up takes over the whole screen and will not move. :(

Okay, trying another browser allowed me to see right before that annoying ad popped up again. I'd be okay with it if I could hit the "X" and it actually behave and go away.

For a styling change, always see an experienced hair dresser as they see face shapes/haircuts every day, all day. IMO, I think you'd look good with short hair. :)
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Your hair is pretty short already. You'll look fine.
  • sadiegirl32
    sadiegirl32 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Wack it off brother!! :laugh: I was the same way and about a year ago decided to go short and spiky! It was liberating. Good thing is if you don't like it, its hair, it will grow back!
  • Woomytron
    Woomytron Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Honestly, its just hair it will grow back if you don't like it. Plus it will probably make your face look even thinner.

Just do it my friend! You will be fine. :smile:
  • debbash68
    debbash68 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    No leave it it's good! Kinda indie
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Hair, clothes, etc doesn't make you look fat. Fat makes you look fat. It always amazes me that people think they can hide behind hair and clothing or make statements that they don't look as big as they are because they dress well.

OP, if you want short hair, have short hair!
  • souzan651
    souzan651 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have used my hair to cover my face for many years, but when I did take the plunge to have it short it actually improved the way I look. The right cut can be slimming for your face. By the way my profile picture is not the short cut I am talking about.
    Just go for it, even if you are not keen on it one thing for sure is it will soon grow back.
  • petersonabt
    petersonabt Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Not at all! for me getting a hair cut helped feel better about my weight loss it was like a new do for a new you type thing. (lame I know but whatever. lol)

point is no your face wouldn't look "Fatter". I think it would look good.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I would talk to a stylist or go to one of those sites where you can do a mock up of what you'd look like with a different style, but I think your current length is a good one for your face. In general, shorter haircuts tend to look more severe and in my opinion few people look good in them. I'm assuming your decision will be based on aesthetics, not practicality.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Hair, clothes, etc doesn't make you look fat. Fat makes you look fat. It always amazes me that people think they can hide behind hair and clothing or make statements that they don't look as big as they are because they dress well.

OP, if you want short hair, have short hair!

Wearing clothes that fit and flatter your proportions, having an attractive haircut or glasses, can do wonders. I agree, the more healthily trim you are, the better clothes look, but there's no reason to punish yourself while losing weight.

Sure if someone's big I notice, but if they've put themselves together in an interesting way I notice that too.

I think that short hair tends to put more focus on the body.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I had someone tell me my face was too round for short hair and I waited until lost a fair amount to cut it. It is now shorter than in my picture. Once I got it cut, it made me wish I had done it sooner. The most recent cut I got was #4 on the sides and #5 up top, which revealed that I am thinning a bit more than I hoped up top, so next time I will probably do a 5/6. The better stylists don't always use clippers, but if you figure out what clipper sizes are about right then they know the length you are going for. But if you find a clipper combo that is just the cut you want you can get a cut from just about anywhere, another benefit of short hair. I am really glad I did it.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Wearing clothes that fit and flatter your proportions, having an attractive haircut or glasses, can do wonders. I agree, the more healthily trim you are, the better clothes look, but there's no reason to punish yourself while losing weight.

Sure if someone's big I notice, but if they've put themselves together in an interesting way I notice that too.

I think that short hair tends to put more focus on the body.
    More people notice the weight I have dropped when I wear my new properly fitting pants than when I wear saggy baggy stuff that still kinda fits (old in between sizes). That surprised me, but when I think about it, I guess people don't know the baggy stuff is clothes that used to fit or were even too small for me.
  • Faery_Dust
    Faery_Dust Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Do it! I'm booked in on 22nd of Aug to get mine chopped off too :)