Weight loss in the kitchen?

Options
How do I lose weight using a calorie deficit what do y'all do how much do y'all eat?

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    run your stats and goals through MFP - that will give you a goal calorie count - it does NOT include calories burnt from purposeful exercise, so recommendation to eat back at least a portion of those. don't see your goal too agressively (i.e. if you have less than 30lbs to lose, then a 2lb a week goal is not realistic, you should aim for .5-1lb)
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options

enter you stats in MFP and set your weight loss preference and activity level. If you have under 20lbs to loose it is recommended to stick more to the 1 or 0.5lb per week loss. Eat back your exercise calories (or at least a good portion).

that will give you your calorie goal to hit daily. Or you could work it out to a weekly goal if you prefer.

I eat normal food, just in portions that fit in the calorie goal. my diary is open if you want. i eat more snacks so that means my meals are smaller (VS someone who eats only 3-4x in a day). That is just my personal preference.

then i tweak things here and there based on the macros (am i too low on protein or fat? then i switch out foods).

I pre-log my food as much as possible to pre-plan most of my day.
  • angelcrush93
    angelcrush93 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm needing to lose around 70 pounds
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Everybody loses weight in a calorie deficit. It's really simple, it just means "eat less, move more", and the moving is actually optional. But it's not that easy, because you have to do it for real, consistently and for a long time.
    You got a personal calorie target when you signed up. If you stick to that, log what you eat - and this is where "for real" comes in - using a food scale, you will lose weight, over time.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    Is there anything specifically you want more info on?

for how many cals to eat, as we all mentioned above, enter the info in MFP and it will give you a number. What you eat to get there is up to you. everyone has their own method that works for them, you need to figure out what works for you.

but yes the basic is you eat fewer calories than your body uses over time to lose weight.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Measure and record everything you eat. MFP should give you a calorie goal, aim to always be right around that goal (my calorie goal is 1,240 so I aim for between 1100 and 1200 most days) and the weight should start coming off.

1200 is the nutritional minimum for women. You should be averaging 1200 per day every week.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    How do I lose weight using a calorie deficit what do y'all do how much do y'all eat?

By eating slightly less than you need to maintain your current weight.
    I eat loads because I move loads - my calorie goal to maintain weight would probably result in rapid weight gain for you - that's why the set up questions should be answered accurately and sensibly.
    e.g. don't just select the fastest rate of loss without considering whether it's appropriate for you and sustainable by you.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I'm needing to lose around 70 pounds

Make sure you have your profile set up correctly. With 70 lbs to lose, you could probably choose a goal of 1.5lbs per week or 1 lb per week. You will get a calorie goal. Log accurately and consistently trying to hit that goal. If you exercise, log it and eat at least some of those calories back.

You can eat whatever you want to lose weight, but obviously eating nutritious foods is important for good health, and getting enough protein, fat, and fiber can help you feel full on less calories.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    cbdwwdmpxwn6.jpg
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Think of it like your finances - if you save more than you spend, your account will grow. If you spend more than you save, it will shrink.

Calories are similar... if you eat more than you burn, you'll gain weight. If you burn more than you eat, you'll lose. What or when you eat doesn't matter as far as weight loss is concerned, so make choices that help you stick to your plan - no sense making things harder than they need to be.

As for how much to eat - start with MFP's recommendations.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I weigh my food on a food scale and log it in this app.
  • JorrunFulhelm
    JorrunFulhelm Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Most people go by the motto of "calories in, calories out". Basically loosing weight means burning more calories in a day than you consume. You can get into the countless debates on when to eat, what to eat, how to eat it....but the bottom line is: math. Some people have open food diaries here you can check those out. Best of luck!

For the record... I tend to take in anywhere from 1300-1800 calories per day and end up burning on average 2000-2300 calories per day (according to my heart rate monitor). Keep in mind that these are rough numbers, not gospel...
  • Chelle8070
    Chelle8070 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I try to stick between 1200-1400 calories a day depending on my activity level (currently 185lbs). I stick to mostly egg whites, low cal/low carb yogurts, veggies and lean meats... but I'm a red meat lover so that definitely gets tossed in.

I try and watch my macros... if I'm around 40%p/30%f/30%c I'm a happy camper!
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    Measure and record everything you eat. MFP should give you a calorie goal, aim to always be right around that goal (my calorie goal is 1,240 so I aim for between 1100 and 1200 most days) and the weight should start coming off.

1200 is the nutritional minimum for women. You should be averaging 1200 per day every week.

I’m very short. I’ve consulted with my doctor. I’m not starving myself. And I do average very close to or at 1200 when I total my calories for the week.