What is a weight training program?

Options
I have lost a few pounds and I'm almost where I want to be. But now it's getting a little harder to see results. I have started doing more strength training with higher intensity cardiovascular bursts. But, I've heard some say to follow a weight training program. That sounds like a good idea. Where did you find your weight training program?

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Check out New Rules For Lifting, Strong Curves and Starting Strength at your bookstore.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Another option is to hire a good personal trainer and get a customized routine from them. If you choose that route, google "choosing a personal trainer" for tips on avoiding the lesser trainers.

By the way, if you want to find Dianne's link again, it's in the pinned post. :+1:
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I found myself need online. I read and look up workouts and tweak mine to suit my goals. I like stronglifts to start.
  • RealWorldStrengthLLC
    Options
    I'd like to chime in here - TRACK EVERYTHING. Seriously, not enough people do this. An average good lifting session has 20 sets, 4-5 days a week. Unless you have an idetic memory, you're not going to remember the weight and reps you used for all of the 80-100 sets you did last week. This will lead to you using "comfort weights" - what you know you can do, and will stall progress. I use a simple formula like this to track:

SQUATS - 5@225/5@315/5@315/4@315 (reps@weight) etc. Then when next week comes, I can look back and either add reps, or add weight while staying in my target rep range. Perfect progressive overload. I also reccomend Rite in the Rain brand notebooks for this as they are water/sweat proof and don't get all messed up in the gym.