Rotator cuff and exercise alternatives

Options
2»

Replies

• billkansas
    billkansas Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I also spent a few hours and $400 out of pocket for my MRI and had the same thought... all I really learned was that I wasn't dealing with a tear. Recovery was still just a mystery... maybe PT will help you but I didn't go that route. I know that I had tons of advice from lifters about stretches, band exercises, and tennis ball deep tissue massage techniques- I didn't have time to try all of that. I simply rested it... and it got better.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    If you have a rotator cuff tear, it will NEVER heal by itself and neither rest or any PT will help. Only surgery can fix it.

Take it from someone who has had 2 rotator cuff tears and surgeries.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    Depends greatly on how severe. I've had two tears and rehabbed both myself. No, doing nothing it will not heal magically on its own.
  • mjnmj2
    mjnmj2 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have shoulder issues too. After a couple of surgeries I came across https://crossoversymmetry.com and after buying and using this product I find it helps me get stronger.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Depends greatly on how severe. I've had two tears and rehabbed both myself. No, doing nothing it will not heal magically on its own.

The tears are still there and if they cause you no pain and do not limiit your physicsl ability, great. They are probably minor. My tears were constantly painful and limited my ability to simply move my arms. Surgery was the only option

On the other hand, I still have a 3 way ligament tear (ACL, PCL & MCL) in my left knee caused by skiing. The pain & swelling eventually went away and I was able to ski again using a carbon fiber.

So, I never got the surgery for that but the tears are still there and I avoid the movement that caused the injury because my knee can still "pop out", swell up and cause pain, if I do so w/o wearing the brace.