How do you support your SO with weight loss?

Options
If you’ve lost weight in a relationship or your partner has lost weight, what are some things that were really helpful for you that your SO did, or that you try to do to support them?

Also what are things that were best avoided/you learned were not the right approach?

Replies

• Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    My husband is amazing support for me! He is totally on board with healthy eating so is glad to eat whatever I make for dinner. He will only bring snack/junk food into the house that I’m not a fan of so I’m not tempted by it. He always encourages me to get my workouts in when I don’t feel like doing them.

And he never makes me feel like I need to lose weight for him. I know he loves me exactly as I am and all he wants is for me to be happy.
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend did a lot of nice things to support my weight loss but the most important thing he did was be a great listener when I was ranting and raving about calories and exercise. I probably drove him insane at times but he was very patient and let me vent all I needed to about nutrition and working out. He never pressured me about my food choices or my workout schedule, he let me do it my way. And he’s always treated me with the same love and passion whether I was obese or normal weight. He’s been with me literally through thick and thin! :) And now he’s decided to go through a weight loss journey of his own and has even taken up running so we can exercise together! I love having a running partner, just today we did a 10K together and it was so much fun!
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I see this is an old thread but I thought I'd chime in. I am the cook in the family so I support my husband by cooking low calorie, heart healthy meals. I'm teaching my little ones (two under two years old) the value of homecooked, healthy, nutritious food in the process.
    He supports me by taking care of the kids (if needed) in the early morning hours so I can get up and run in the morning before anyone awakes.
    He is always complimenting me and letting me know how good I look, which actually helps more than he knows.
  • jenniehamilton100
    Options
    Mine wasn't, and he was refusing to sort his own diet out so I dumped him.

Periodically, I check his social media accounts, and his most recent photo, his face is swathed in fat, all his defining features are covered in it and he has three chins. That helps, to be honest. But if thinspo for me, and validation I made the right choice.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I don't require much, just that he accepts that I need my workout time (my "me" time), and doesn't grumble and sigh when I go off to do it.