2 - 4 - 6 Packs

Options
I'm curious when abs are revealed. Everything I read is about a 6 pack. What about the 2 and 4 pack leading up to the 6 pack?

I'm working on mine and have a 2 pack (if I squint, add shadowing and tilt my head lol) with vertical definition along the sides where the 4 and 6 will eventually be seen.

Are there any body fat guidelines for 2 or 4 packs or does it vary significantly by individual? I've seen photos for estimating BF%, but none of them really look like me. Is there a gallery with more examples than the usual single pic representing a percentage range?

Thanks!

Replies

• cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    ^ This.

What @psuLemon said.
  • Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Girl, same! I have also looked for this information with no success. If I flex really hard with just the right posture I can have 2-pack to showing the top half of a 4-pack, but I still have a lot of lower belly flab. I, too, have wondered how far down I would need to go for a visible 6-pack.
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    It's impossible to say. Yes, there are some bodyfat guidelines, but IMO, that's only half the equation. Not only does your body fat have to be low enough... but fat around your midsection has to be low AND you have to have reasonable muscle mass to show.

I've been <11% body fat and was no where near having visible abs. Not even a 1-pack.

Exactly true. Too often do people talk abouy abs being made in the kitchen and its a small component.. body composition (body fat + muscle mass) is the key. Its why you see a lot of underweight people with no definition or even flab because they never trained for muscle mass.

Very true. For most women, the 2-pack doesn't start showing up until around 20%BF, but to psuLemon's point, if your abs aren't developed, you can get very lean and still not see much.

This is me with just 3-4 months lifting under my belt, but pretty low weight/BF.

8noirfl1wl71.jpg

This is me last weekend - 2.5 years later. I'm about 12lbs heavier than the above pic and higher BF, but as you can see my abs are much more developed so they show more at a higher BF%. But still not really a 2,4,6 pack.

mwkmr2zn5uuv.jpg

Then you pull the insta pose of leaning back and slightly pulling your loose skin up...voila! Abs. LOL

ffn7n7jtazgw.jpg

Thank you for this! I am pretty close to your top pic, but not as well defined (higher BF% in my mid section). Its great to see the progression!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    As mentioned abs are dependent on several factors. And while bodyfat % photos can be used as a guideline, people carry their weight different and they may not have the muscle base or genetics for defined abs.

Years ago I was ultra lean, almost underweight, with very little pronounced abs since I had poor muscle base. Then I ran a few bulks and I had better ab definition at a higher weight. However, I still don't have pronounced abs, if I wanted them to show more I'd likely have to get ultra lean (where they would probably just be a hint of abs) or build them up during bulk cycles to have them pop at higher weight. Neither of which I am willing to do.

Here I am left to right at 121lbs, 129lbs and 134lbs. A bit of definition but nothing crazy.

zd4orn69no9k.jpg

You may have to keep leaning out, provided you are not getting too low in weight. Then reassess and decide if you want to build more muscle.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    It's impossible to say. Yes, there are some bodyfat guidelines, but IMO, that's only half the equation. Not only does your body fat have to be low enough... but fat around your midsection has to be low AND you have to have reasonable muscle mass to show.

I've been <11% body fat and was no where near having visible abs. Not even a 1-pack.

Exactly true. Too often do people talk abouy abs being made in the kitchen and its a small component.. body composition (body fat + muscle mass) is the key. Its why you see a lot of underweight people with no definition or even flab because they never trained for muscle mass.

You calling me flabby???

Are you underweight with no muscle definition?

I'd describe myself as more... underlean.

( just trying to have a little fun at my own expense. Back to your regularly scheduled thread...)

giphy.gif
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Extremely variable & genetic influenced as others have mentioned. Can't seem to get a crisp lower pair of abd. muscles without a ridiculous amount of dieting effort, yet can have practically no fat whatsoever around my ribcage/intercostal/serratus region when @ maintenance (lol). Posing & correct posture can help a bit

w9bwudvhf2ii.jpg
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    On posing - I can try in front of a mirror and not see them, but I have an actual truly candid shot where the top half shows up. Not as well defined as Keto_Vampire's top half, but some pretty clear definition. I think they are under a thin layer of fat that has to get get pulled tight to show them; I can't flex them enough to make them poke through.