Your experiences with shoes/feet during a rainy long run?

Options
dcresider
dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
edited September 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
So I've ran for almost 20 years inconsistently with many half marathons under the belt, but I've never ran any of my longs run in the rain, not even in any of my races. I guess it's just sheer luck. Anyway, I have an upcoming race in December and who knows what the weather will be like. Does anyone have any experience with a wet running shoe? Blisters? ?Black nails? How do I protect my feet in the rain.

Replies

• Inspirationalwaterjug
    Options
    Depends if it’s Trail or road shoe wise . But I use Trail Toes. You can order it from amazon always worked for me.
  • dcresider
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I only run on road since there are no trails in my city.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    keep your feet dry if possible - but for a half-marathon i wouldn't worry too much - just dry them well as soon as possible after your race (dry socks and shoes) - and that should prevent most issues
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    dcresider wrote: »
    So I've ran for almost 20 years inconsistently with many half marathons under the belt, but I've never ran any of my longs run in the rain, not even in any of my races. I guess it's just sheer luck. Anyway, I have an upcoming race in December and who knows what the weather will be like. Does anyone have any experience with a wet running shoe? Blisters? ?Black nails? How do I protect my feet in the rain.

Black toe nails happen because your nails are too long and/or your shoes are too short. For the rest, I wouldn't worry about it too much. I've experimented with changing socks halfway through a long run, but once your shoes are soaked, there's really no point. Just wear good running socks (I prefer the Features socks), and change into dry socks and shoes right after the race.
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    I worry about exactly the same thing! The thought of running with soggy feet doesn't appeal very much. Even to the point I was wondering about putting plastic bags between my socks and my shoes, no doubt that's a terrible idea but just shows how much I worry about it LOL! Interested to see what the pro's have to say....
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I'm in the UK so we don't have particularly wild weather but in my 4 years of running I have never had wet shoe related issues that I can remember...
  • Amber_hanson27
    Amber_hanson27 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE running in the rain as long as lightning isn't present lol. I have never had issues with wet feet. I do get properly fitted shoes from my favorite running shoe store though. My first and only marathon I ran last December and it rained the first half of it. I was shocked to not have a single blister after that. Had blistering around my bra lol but feet remained unscathed!!!
  • sheltondq
    sheltondq Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I’ve run a few long runs and a half in the rain. I really don’t change anything. I’ve tried putting body glide on my feet before but didn’t notice any real change.
    Afterwards I’d just stuff your shoes with newspapers so they dry and don’t stink
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Vaseline. I was told about using plenty of Vaseline between the toes and it does work. When I ran Boston last April, we had all day cold rain. I used RunGuard on my body and Vaseline on my feet. I didn't have a single blister or any chaffing.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Aside from a bit of extra weight, I've never had any issues with rain. I do like a narrower, tighter fitting shoe and the thinnest sock I can find, for whatever that's worth. Running with a looser shoe and a heavy, wet sock seems like it would be less than ideal.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i bodyglide my feet for longer runs. and the bikini area, and along the bra line and straps.
    my socks are just normal socks. i make sure my shoes are tied snug enough so my feet aren't sliding around. if it is actively pouring or snowing, i have waterproof trail shoes.

i don't like to use vaseline because it can stain clothes.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Last weekend I ran a trail half marathon and in the first mile we had to run through some standing water that was up to my calves. So my shoes and socks were totally soaked. It felt gross for about a mile after that, but then my feet dried up enough so I didn't notice it anymore. At the end of the race, my socks and shoes were still a bit damp, but I didn't have any blisters.

Last year I ran a marathon where it rained almost the entire time, no issues either.

Obviously things like blisters are very dependent on individual circumstances, but I've found over the years that when my shoes and socks fit well, running through rain/puddles doesn't really cause additional blisters for me.

• funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    My quick fix: Put duct tape on the toes of your shoes. I suggest decorator duct tape so you can look cute.

It doesn't help if it is a steady rain, but it helps prevent the kicked up droplets on wet pavement from saturating your shoes then your socks. Wet socks = ewwww.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I've lost a number of nails, had them go black, blistered, swollen toes, etc. I use mole skin to heal up.

I picked up trail shoes which have great drainage and switched to thin moisture wicking socks and don't have an issue anymore.

I just ran a Spartan Beast in the rain and wore a thin wicking sock under a heavy thick wool mud sock with some an old pair of running shoes with good drainage and had no issues.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Vaseline. I was told about using plenty of Vaseline between the toes and it does work. When I ran Boston last April, we had all day cold rain. I used RunGuard on my body and Vaseline on my feet. I didn't have a single blister or any chaffing.

+1 for this approach. When its really wet, I use Aquaphor on my feet (similar to Vaseline) since it isn't as water soluble as body glide.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    If you're worries about your feet getting cold when wet you may also want to consider a wool sock (in winter I use merino wool socks) as wool stays warm even when wet.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Only tangentially related, but...

I find shoes that drain well to be far preferred vs "water proof" shoes. Water always gets in. Always. Never mind foot sweat. And once water is in there, you'll be glad to have a shoe that breathes/drains well.
  • dcresider
    Options
    Thanks all for the info. I'm looking forward to running in the rain....some day.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I would not be concerned.
    I'm pretty experienced, if I do say so myself. (Okay, old. I know you were thinking it.)
    I've run in Minnesota in the winter, Phoenix in the summer, and the Boston Marathon course in a heavy rain.
    In all my years, I cannot remember having any serious problems because my shoes got wet.
    Course, you try to keep your shoes as dry as you can, for as long as you can, but, if they fit right, I doubt you will have an issue.
    Have fun.
    (PS, I've even run in the wet snow of Washington! Love running there.)
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I've put Body Glide on parts of my feet where I tend to get blisters. I assume you have good moisture wicking socks, which will help somewhat. I'd also just try to get those wet shoes and socks off as soon as you can after the run. And even though your question is about feet, I'd recommend a baseball style cap to help keep some of the rain out of your face.