Dieting and exercise when you have young children?

Hi everyone, I was just wondering, for those of you who have young children, how does your new way of eating/exercise regime work with your little ones? Do you find it hard to do things like exercise because of your kids?

I have a 3 year old daughter, and my partner and I are doing clean eating as part of making us both healthier and helping in weight loss, and we are having no troubles with her in regards to that, she loves fruit, veges and all kinds of meats anyway. So we've been lucky in that regard.

But exercise, I'm finding a bit more difficult! I do Zumba 6 times a week, once a day at our PCYC (they have a creche for the kiddies) which is easy for me, but at home, I find it a lot harder to be able to do exercise, as my little one wants my attention whenever I decide to start exercising.
Doesn't care what I'm doing if I'm just sitting around, but as soon as I start using dumbells or doing Zumba in the lounge, she has to have my attention haha.
A few times she has just done the Zumba with me, which is awesome, but just wondering how others go about their exercise with having little kids in the house as well?

Replies

• When my kids were little I had to find ways to exercise with them! I would put my youngest in the stroller And my oldest on the bike and power walk, or find other things to do together! Chasing a few kids in the deep end of a pool is great work out! Now my kids are a bit older and it's just finding time in my busy day! Use your daughter as the weights and lift her?
  • KRB28
    KRB28 Posts: 248 Member
    I have a 2.5 year old and a 6 month old, I also do Zumba 6 days a week (at home using my Wii). During my youngest's morning nap my oldest and I go downstairs where majority of his toys are. I workout while he plays with his trains or he'll play some games on my iPad. The odd time I might have to pause to help him with something but he's always been good at entertaining himself. After both their naps in the afternoon we will try to get out for a walk as well.

As for eating healthy is working good. Sometimes I'll make my oldest something different for dinner if I don't think he'll eat it. But I also feed him a little earlier as my hubby gets home later from work.
  • megginanderson
    megginanderson Posts: 276 Member
    I have 3 - 7yo boy, 5yo girl and a 2yo boy.
    I have to wake up in the morning and do it before my husband leaves for work.
    Ive always worked out from home and have been doing this successfully for many years. At the end of the day is not an option for me.
    Nap time works too!
  • HeyGoRun
    HeyGoRun Posts: 550 Member
    I have all my equipment at home, while im in workout mode my 10yr old acts like the momma so no bothering me!
  • CorrynneS
    CorrynneS Posts: 18 Member
    I have a 5 year old and two year old twins. I work out with my DVD each evening right after I put my youngest two to bed at 7 PM. My husband works sun up to sun down (full time job and full time soccer coach) so I usually don't have the opportunity to workout outside the home. My oldest is usually at soccer practice with hubby, entertaining himself or trying to do the DVD with me! I struggle with not being able to eat dinner with my kids (cant eat a big meal before I work out) which makes me feel guilty but it is the only way I have found that works for me :)
  • Gen_proud_mama
    Gen_proud_mama Posts: 10 Member
    I have 2 young kids (3 and 7). I usually workout after I put them to bed. I have a treadmill in the basement and dumbbells. That's all I need, no need for big equipment. There are TONES of workout routines online and I just follow them.
    If night doesn't work for you, all you really need is to move. You can do push ups during the day while your little one eats (quick and a really good chest/arms workout). You can do lunges and squats while the little one is in the bath (you don't need a lot of space for that).
    You don't need a full hour of exercises all at once, you can do a little bit all day and you'll see a huge difference very quickly and your little one might even join in or enjoy watching you doing all these funny exercises!!
    I know that 3 y/o have a short attention span so you can't really expect him to play by himself for an hour while you workout but sitting and playing with Legos for 5 minutes while you do 3 sets of squats is VERY do-able.
  • peggymdellinger
    peggymdellinger Posts: 151 Member
    I either work out after they go to bed or their Daddy makes them leave me alone. I tried having them work out with me, but I have 4 yr old twins and they either got all in the space I needed, or in each others space which led to them fighting, lol. Sometimes they walk "with" me, but that isn't conducive to a very brisk walk. I also work out away from home 2-3 days a week during lunch break.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    I have a 5 year old and we started off trying to work out together but then I get distracted. I try and exercise before she wakes up.
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Right now, I walk almost daily with my kids- between keeping a decent pace and pushing a double stroller (has to be 50lbs+ with the kids in it!) I get a decent workout in. I have 12lb dumbbells and a stability ball that I use for arms and abs- I usually do that workout during their nap time.

In addition to walking (or hiking, if you want to carry your daughter in a pack) you can find a lot of home workouts on youtube.

Good luck!
  • SimplyMeLucia
    SimplyMeLucia Posts: 20 Member
    I have a 3 year old, I try to workout while he watches his favorite shows around 1pm or I workout at night. I have a stationary bike and elliptical I just bought zumba :)
  • serenere
    serenere Posts: 70 Member
    When I was little my dad used to exercise with me and my brother all the time involving us. He still says that he was the fittest at that time because taking care of us made him burn extra calories heheh we did sports together like swimming, tennis, biking...why don't you just drop the zumba at home and try to do a kind of sport that you can do with your kids?
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    When my children were smaller, I found it to be a great opportunity to do workout videos geared towards kids because they can really whup you. Elmos workout videos could be pretty exhausting.

Play with the kids. I used to would put a handkerchief in my pocket and have them try to catch me and steal the handkerchief. The person who gets it gets to put it in their pocket and run. I know, no running in the house, but I was as big a kid as they were. If you have a yard, you have more room to do this.

Lay on your back and put your child on your shins. Rock them back and forth and also do leg lifts with them on your shins. These are FANTASTIC ab workouts.

Kids love jumpropes and good jumpropes really aren't that expensive. You can both skip together.

Then, there is hopscotch, badminton, basketball, etc.
  • albosler
    albosler Posts: 16 Member
    I've got 4 (9, 7, 4, & 1). I've tried many different things. What has worked recently and what I'm currently doing is getting up at 5:30am to work out in my basement. I alternate between runnin 3 miles and doing a calisthenics work out, about 30min/day. Nothing crazy, but enough to keep me tone and in shape. It's exhausting to wake up early and takes time to get used to, but it's nice to have my workout behind me by the time they get up! However, when my little ones were younger the gym was super helpful, I went to a YMCA with a great child-care drop off and it was a lifesaver for me! I would work out for about 45min to an hour, and I'd also see many of my friends there so it was a good social outlet. Now with 2 in school, 1 in preschool and one still napping - between trying to volunteer in schools during the day and get in grocery shopping and chores during the day while my little one naps, and then sports and extracurriculars after school, it just works out better if I get up early and get it done. If I haven't worked out by 9am it's just not going to happen!
  • i take my 2 1/2 year old on jog/walk in the stroller every day.. we end it by feeding the ducks at the park so he gets to run around and has something to look forward to as well... then when he goes to bed i'll do any weight training i want to do for the day.
  • My daughter is 4. She comes to my circuit training with me - sometimes she participates other times she dances or colour - i also let her use my 2 lbs weights...she loves it
  • ninjakitty419
    ninjakitty419 Posts: 349 Member
    Mine are 6 months and 4 yrs. If my husband isnt working the overnight shift, i go for a walk/jog or bike ride alone after the kids have gone to bed. If I do have to work out inside my home (husband at work, weather uncooperate, just feel like it) I usually try to do it after they are in bed. My 4 yr old has finally learned (mostly) after several reminders that when mommy is working out, she needs to stay out on the other side of the room and I wont answer her unless she is hurt or really needs help. She is getting better about staying out of the way and saving the "mommy look at my owie. mommy do you wanna hold my doll? mommy i want a drink. for when Im done.

Sometimes she tries to do it with me, and that is fine as long as she isnt under foot or where I will be worries about bumping in to her. We also go for walks together but I dont feel like I get much of a workout then since i have to go her pace. I used to put her in the stroller but now obviously baby is in there and im not about to buy a double one just for a few uses here and there.
  • TheRunningGuppy
    TheRunningGuppy Posts: 651 Member
    I've got a 4 year old and a 9 year old. It took some work, but they got used to me working out. They know mostly now that they aren't supposed to get in the way, but they can sit in the room and watch as I'm doing zumba or yoga. My younger kiddo was 3 when I started exercising, and I never go to a gym, so he's had to adjust to a new way of life for his mama.
    The kids even love to do yoga with me. I do it on the wii, and they can follow the instructors moves. It's pretty cute! Also, taking them out for walks around the neighborhood, or bike rides, will give them the attention they need from me and a bit of exercise for everyone. Kids just want to be in on everything their parents do, so make sure you take at least some of your time working out to do that.
  • Juniper3411
    Juniper3411 Posts: 167 Member
    I have a 2 1/2 y/o boy and a 7 yo girl, but my husband is a stay at home dad, so I've been going to the gym in the mornings before work since the kids aren't up yet anyway. I rarely get more then 10 minutes with them in the morning before working out (sometimes not even that, my youngest likes to sleep in!) so it isn't really hurting my time with them .

Mornings suck...and it is taking me some time to get used to, but it is working out well so far!
  • ADRsmama
    ADRsmama Posts: 45 Member
    I have a 9 month old, and yeah it's very hard to find the time to exercise! Luckily I have gym equipment now so I usually do as much as I can when he's taking a nap.. And when it was cooler I would go out for a walk with him.
  • JenS2586
    JenS2586 Posts: 85
    I have 4, ages 6, 1,1 and 3months [as of today] my 6 year old entertains herself when she knows I want to workout, she'll either colour or paint or play nearby or she'll go watch a movie or put on one of her kids yoga dvds. I workout while the other 3 all nap. And again when they all go to bed. Sometimes ill do a morning workout because I'm up before 7 and they all sleep til 8 or 9. Things will be different when my twins decide they don't want to nap anymore, but I don't see that happening for awhile. They love naptime, aka run around playing and terrorizing their room until they pass out haha. On weekends we try to get out for family trail walks as much as possible.
    As for eating healthy, the kids have no choice, eat what I offer or go hungry :) I try to eat as clean as possible.