Excuses and 999 days of logging

Options
I’ve been making excuses for far too long now. After losing 55 pounds, I’ve gained back 15 and stayed there for the last year. Why? I know how to lose weight. I’ve done it before. Why can’t I do it this time? What is stopping me? How far can I let it go before I say ENOUGH? Mostly for me, it’s all about excuses. Here are a few of my excuses. Or at least 23 of them…

1. It’s hard
2. I’m depressed. I moved 600 miles away from my best friends and I miss them
3. I have a bit of anxiety. A drink (or 3) will calm my nerves
4. I’ll do better tomorrow
5. I have a party, work dinner, it’s a holiday; whatever
6. One more drink isn’t the end of the world
7. I’m tired and don’t feel like cooking so I’ll just get take out
8. I’m not THAT fat
9. I’m not as fat as I used to be
10. Hey, I’ve still lost 40 pounds, so what if I’m up 15
11. My favorite pants still fit. Yoga pants, but hey, they fit
12. I’ll start tomorrow, Monday, next month
13. It sucks to watch other people eat/drink whatever they want
14. I just don’t feel like tracking today
15. I’m tired of thinking about what I eat ALL THE TIME
16. I deserve a break
17. I really like the party mix in the lunchroom at work. Everyday.
18. I don’t have time to go to the gym
19. I don’t want to cook things other people may not enjoy, so I’ll just make an exception this time
20. I want another serving because it tastes good, not because I’m hungry
21. I’m tired and don’t want to exercise
22. Fresh food is expensive
23. God, it’s just REALLY hard sometimes
Now, with all of that being said, tomorrow will mark 1,000 days of logging on this site. So, even with my excuses I’ve still showed up every day for the last 1,000 day. I may not have participated, but I sure as hell showed up. Starting October 1, I will start participating again. Why October 1? I plan to let me days reset Sunday, making Monday day 1. It also happens to be a Monday and the start of a new month. While I know I will still have excuses some days, I will do my best to push past them.

So, what’s your excuse? We all have them.

Replies

• WJS_jeepster
    WJS_jeepster Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit in the same boat as you, lost some and gained a bit back, can't seem to figure it out right now.

My excuses all tend to fall into three main categories:
    1. I'm exhausted
    2. Things suck right now so I deserve a treat
    3. Hey - here's an emergency that upends our lives for days/weeks! Suspend all normal activity and eat comfort foods!

Right now I'm mainly stuck on #3 as a waterline in the kitchen broke overnight a few weeks ago and completely flooded my kitchen, dining room and front hall. I had demolition/water damage guys in the house within hours and they completely tore the place up. We lived with huge industrial drying fans and heaters for 5 days, and now we're just in limbo waiting for some construction to happen. Unfortunately I have no working stove and a tiny counter that didn't get ripped out as a workspace. We are living on cold food/microwaved stuff/takeout for the duration. I'm exhausted and things suck. Eating for comfort is currently a problem. :o
  • WJS_jeepster
    WJS_jeepster Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Forgot to add - I'm really impressed by your streak AND by the fact that you continue to log in even if you're not really participating. Showing up is HUGE.
  • SisterSueGetsFit
    SisterSueGetsFit Posts: 1,211 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit in the same boat as you, lost some and gained a bit back, can't seem to figure it out right now.

My excuses all tend to fall into three main categories:
    1. I'm exhausted
    2. Things suck right now so I deserve a treat
    3. Hey - here's an emergency that upends our lives for days/weeks! Suspend all normal activity and eat comfort foods!

Right now I'm mainly stuck on #3 as a waterline in the kitchen broke overnight a few weeks ago and completely flooded my kitchen, dining room and front hall. I had demolition/water damage guys in the house within hours and they completely tore the place up. We lived with huge industrial drying fans and heaters for 5 days, and now we're just in limbo waiting for some construction to happen. Unfortunately I have no working stove and a tiny counter that didn't get ripped out as a workspace. We are living on cold food/microwaved stuff/takeout for the duration. I'm exhausted and things suck. Eating for comfort is currently a problem. :o

I get the "things suck" mentality. I'm there. I'm also working on that. I know I am 100% accountable for my feelings. What's the saying? Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% of how you react to it. It sounds like you've got your hands full though. Anyway, you have my sympathy. Maybe you can get an air fryer. Thing is a miracle.

Forgot to add - I'm really impressed by your streak AND by the fact that you continue to log in even if you're not really participating. Showing up is HUGE.

Thank you. Showing up is about all I've done for a year or so, give or take little bursts of trying. But, I'm back. I have to do this.
    Congratulations on your 40 pounds lost, and your logging streak!!!

In a podcast I listen to (Half-Size Me), the host talks about goal weight vs sustainable weight. Is it possible that your goal weight isn't sustainable?

Personally, I could probably get down 20 more pounds. But I don't want to live my life the way I would have to live to be there. I look pretty darn good now. Abs are overrated.

Well, I at least need to lose the 15 pounds I gained back. I'm pretty good at 150. I'm 164 right now, so overweight at 5'4". My lofty goal is 135, but like you mention, that is a goal weight, probably not a sustainable weight. And I'd agree, abs are over rated. Especially when there are tacos. :smiley:
  • RonyMack
    RonyMack Posts: 131 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    When you say logging, are you referring to logging in to the website? Or actually logging your food in the diary for 999 days? Big difference. :)
  • SisterSueGetsFit
    SisterSueGetsFit Posts: 1,211 Member
    Options
    RonyMack wrote: »
    When you say logging, are you referring to logging in to the website? Or actually logging your food in the diary for 999 days? Big difference. :)

Logging into the website. I haven't logged food for 999 days. But, I've shown up. I've made the conscious effort to log in every single day. For 999 days.