Attitude Adjustments! (please share YOURS)

I get stuck sometimes -- "it shouldn't be this hard", "this is not fair", "I cannot sustain this level of suffering", blah blah blah. I know I have to change my attitude but I think it would help to hear from other people who've actually done it.

Can you guys who have lost weight please share some of your mental game? What are some bad attitudes you had to overcome? How did you change your thinking, or what do you tell yourself that helps you lose weight?

Replies

• steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,215 Member
    The big mindset change for me was buying into the philosophy of manipulating my diet for fat loss and exercising for enjoyment, health and aesthetics. It was liberating as I’m not a cardio person, I like weights, and I no longer felt like I had to do as much cardio which I dreaded. This also meant making sure my logging was on point; no more guessing, no more skipping days, no more “close enough”. Granted, I’m just dealing with vanity weight and trying to look as best I can, but I’ve been more successful since hyper-vigilant about my data than ever.

Sometimes, to talk myself out of a negative choice, be it eating something that would put me over on calories or skip a workout I’ll ask myself something to the effect of “does this choice get me closer to the way I ultimately want to look?” And that usually makes the right choice for me.
  • proudseal
    proudseal Posts: 83 Member
    What a fun question!
    "It's not fair!" "It shouldn't be this hard!" "This must be easier for everyone else!" "It's not working! I have been on a diet for 2 days already, I should be done!"
    I am in process, not there (50 pounds lost, just 75 to go!), but for what it's worth, I sometimes make fun of those thoughts. "It's not fairrrrr!" is me saying the same thing about something I don't like as when I was about 2. "Why can't this go faster?" is, underneath, me whining about the trip the same way I did on family trips when I was 5 -- "Are we there yet? Waaah!" If you say some of these things out loud (by yourself, not in public) and stamp your foot, etc., you can really get how funny it is.
    So I notice I am running the tape (saying something I have been saying for years), poke fun at myself, and then get back to work.

I love this! Thanks!
  • proudseal
    If it's too hard, don't quit, make it easier. If it's too fast, don't quit, slow down. Whatever it is, just don't quit.

If your diet isn't working, try some other way, but don't quit.

The results come EVENTUALLY. But not if you quit and start and quit and start over and quit.

This is great! And congrats on your success! :)
  • proudseal
    Thanks everybody who posted!! <3:)

I heard another good one the other day. "Don't worry about tomorrow, that's future [your-name-here]'s problem. Just worry about what you can do today."
  • IHaveMyActTogether
    IHaveMyActTogether Posts: 945 Member
    proudseal wrote: »
    If it's too hard, don't quit, make it easier. If it's too fast, don't quit, slow down. Whatever it is, just don't quit.

If your diet isn't working, try some other way, but don't quit.

The results come EVENTUALLY. But not if you quit and start and quit and start over and quit.

This is great! And congrats on your success! :)

Thanks! Don't quit! :)
  • MsBaz2018
    MsBaz2018 Posts: 384 Member
    Bad attitude: why is dessert so calorific!! Some people don't even like food. Why do I get penalized for loving food and trying out new recipes!

But then it's my motivation to exercise to bank the calories for dessert. And overall to eat better overall so that I can eat some high calorie foods once in a while without blowing my calorie budget.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!