Calories/Marcos

Options
Female/ 5'3"/ cw 151/ gw 135 Im having trouble lately trying to lining up within my Calories and Micros. Everyday when has been a struggle.. When i start logging my foods, then i will go back and "Adjust" my macros to be within my calories.

As im adjusting i may have to add or subtract an item on my food log. The problem arises when im perfert in Macros, but have 400-600 Calories lefted over. Knowing this is not enough food, i try to add other healthier foods, yet again it throws off my macros.
I only eat 1,340 daily, but i need to keep my Sugar and Sodium down as its my preference.
How important is it to possible not balance your macros/micros and still lose fat.

Any advice?? and is anyone else having concerns about balancing calories/macros/micros???

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Macros are just a guideline, you don't have to hit them perfectly and they don't directly affect weight loss. They are often helpful for satiety, and some health and fitness goals. People have lost weight and maintained a healthy weight on all sorts of different macro distributions.

It's also possible you are using some wonky entries in the food database. Most entries are user entered, and lots of people don't care about macros, so if you do you need to check that the numbers in an entry are accurate before you use it. There is some rounding allowed on food labels, so even good entries can leave you off a little at the end of the day, but not 500calories worth.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Third the vote for bad entries unless you are logging alcohol which could throw off your counts

Could you open your diary for someone to take a look?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    It's not at all important to balance your macros to lose fat unless you're trying to lose the very last few pounds to get into a very low body fat %. But when you say you've gone over your macros but still have calories leftover are you looking at the goals by gram or the percentage pie chart?
  • Heart_Fit
    Heart_Fit Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Dianneethegreek, I am going by grams.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    Calories are made of macros.
    Carbs - 4cal per gram
    Fats - 9cal per gram
    Proteins - 4cal per gram

If you're adjusting your macros in grams then they should account for all your calories. So you've used bad database entries (most database entries are input by random users like me and you and are wrong).

If you're adjusting them in percentages then you I don't see a problem to eat more and keep the same percentages.

In all cases, if you eat a varied diet your macros should be close to the suggested naturally (that's why these are the suggested). Getting your macros spot on is never necessary.