Fitbit VS Apple Watch 4?

Options
phaniea69
phaniea69 Posts: 9 Member
edited September 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi!

I am in the market for a fitness watch. I really don’t like the look of the Fitbits and like the idea of the Apple Watch because I have an iphone and it would be convenient to have the added feature of syncing my watch and phone. I have read that previous iterations of the Apple watch aren’t as good as the Fitbit for tracking health stuff. However, it seems like the new Apple 4 watch has a lot of added health stuff so maybe is comparable to the Fitbit. Anyone have the Apple 4 watch? What do you think of it? Is it equal to a Fitbit?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• marksweightloss
    marksweightloss Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Definitely the Apple Watch....
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    The interface between AW and MFP isn’t great. If you don’t care about that, it’s a great watch with MANY useful features.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    phaniea69 wrote: »
    Hi!

I am in the market for a fitness watch. I really don’t like the look of the Fitbits and like the idea of the Apple Watch because I have an iphone and it would be convenient to have the added feature of syncing my watch and phone. I have read that previous iterations of the Apple watch aren’t as good as the Fitbit for tracking health stuff. However, it seems like the new Apple 4 watch has a lot of added health stuff so maybe is comparable to the Fitbit. Anyone have the Apple 4 watch? What do you think of it? Is it equal to a Fitbit?

Thanks in advance!

What features are you looking for?

I am not a fan of either brand. I have a Garmin and it syncs with my iphone just fine. It also is fully swimproof and uses watch batteries so you never have to charge it. I just changed the batteries for the first time 3 years after purchase.
  • phaniea69
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Hi!

Thanks in advance!

What features are you looking for?

I am not a fan of either brand. I have a Garmin and it syncs with my iphone just fine. It also is fully swimproof and uses watch batteries so you never have to charge it. I just changed the batteries for the first time 3 years after purchase.

I want it to monitor my heart rate, count my steps, calculate calories burned for activity and map my walks. I’m not too worried about it syncing with MFP because I don’t mind manually entering my activity if I have to.

Honestly, since I’m new to all this fitness tracking stuff I’m afraid I might not know all the things I want until I start using one.

What does the Garmin feature?

Thanks for replying!
  • phaniea69
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    The interface between AW and MFP isn’t great. If you don’t care about that, it’s a great watch with MANY useful features.
    nowine4me wrote: »

I really don’t think syncing is a deal breaker for me. If you have the time, would you mind telling me the Apple Watch features you find most useful?

• phaniea69
    Options
    Definitely the Apple Watch....

Do you have the 4? If so, are you liking it?
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,654 Member
    Options
    I really don’t think syncing is a deal breaker for me. If you have the time, would you mind telling me the Apple Watch features you find most useful?

Synchronizing IS a big deal because MFP calculates your calories based on the information you give about your activity level during guided setup. And more often than not the activity level chosen is based on incomplete information with most people choosing sedentary regardless of their actual activity level.

Usually activity trackers attempt to calculate your calories burned on slightly more information, and are thus considered a better guess.

Working integration replaces the MFP guess with the tracker's guess, and gives you eating goals based on what the tracker has detected.

Fixing all this manually COULD work if you really understand what is happening... but it is probably more work than most people are willing to put in.

Also there is power in the red and green numbers MFP pops up, and for many people going against them is difficult even if they know they should.

In brief: don't dismiss integration. There are many perfectly capable and inexpensive no name (or off brand trackers), especially ones made for developing markets, that lack nothing but the software and integration features of their more expensive cousins. And... their relative pricing substantially reflects their relative usefulness.