Favorite wireless running headphones

Options
Hi there,
Been using my old apple headphones that came with my phone for running and they finally bit the dust. I'm thinking of trying wireless next. What are your favorite wireless headphones for running? Pros & cons?
Thanks!

Replies

• IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I’ve used the Motorola s10 since they came out close to 10 years ago. They stay in place without ever feeling like they might fall out. I’ve worn them through downpours and dozens of 3+ hour runs. The battery life is great as is sound quality and range. They’re solid and you can find them for pretty cheap nowadays.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I have various pairs of wireless headphones. They were all inexpensive too.

Skull Candy- short battery life, no microphone, pain to pair to my phone
    TaoTronics- decent battery, no music controls, didn't always stay in my ears
    Phaser- decent battery, magnetic clasp, microphone and music controls, stopped working after a year
    FreshEBuds Ultra- great battery, magnetic clasp, microphone and music controls, so far my favorite pair

If I needed new ones though, I'd get the Apple AirPods.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Do you want totally wireless (much more expensive) or are you okay with a wire connecting the two earbuds, but no wire to your phone?

I have Jaybird Run completely wireless earbuds. I like them, though after about a year of use, the fins tend to pop out of my ears sometimes. I haven't had them fall out, but I do have to readjust them mid-run occasionally if they don't "lock" the first time. Cleaning them regularly with rubbing alcohol helps. I routinely run with only one earbud and have used them up to the half marathon distance.

My husband loves his Airpods, though I can't vouch for those because Apple earbuds aren't comfortable for me, and he's not a runner.

If you want a significantly cheaper option, there are several brands of earbuds on Amazon that have a wire between the two earbuds. I went through about three pairs of them--they tended to last me about a year and a half each. At about $30/pair, I was okay with the relatively short life. I had both Soundpeats and Phaiser models, and I didn't notice major differences between them.
  • thisPGHlife
    thisPGHlife Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    IGbnat24 wrote: »
    I’ve used the Motorola s10 since they came out close to 10 years ago. They stay in place without ever feeling like they might fall out. I’ve worn them through downpours and dozens of 3+ hour runs. The battery life is great as is sound quality and range. They’re solid and you can find them for pretty cheap nowadays.

I am going to second these. I loved mine and I wish I hadn't lost them when I moved two years ago.
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    Do you want totally wireless (much more expensive) or are you okay with a wire connecting the two earbuds, but no wire to your phone?

I have Jaybird Run completely wireless earbuds. I like them, though after about a year of use, the fins tend to pop out of my ears sometimes. I haven't had them fall out, but I do have to readjust them mid-run occasionally if they don't "lock" the first time. Cleaning them regularly with rubbing alcohol helps. I routinely run with only one earbud and have used them up to the half marathon distance.

My husband loves his Airpods, though I can't vouch for those because Apple earbuds aren't comfortable for me, and he's not a runner.

If you want a significantly cheaper option, there are several brands of earbuds on Amazon that have a wire between the two earbuds. I went through about three pairs of them--they tended to last me about a year and a half each. At about $30/pair, I was okay with the relatively short life. I had both Soundpeats and Phaiser models, and I didn't notice major differences between them.

Oh wow thanks for the info, I didn't realize there was another option. I just ordered the Soundpeats, there was a coupon and they looked good :), can't wait to try them out!
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I was very skeptical, but the Apple wireless are amazing. Yes, they do stay in when running. Yes, you do know if one falls out. Yes, they stay charged for an eternity. Yes, they are expensive. And yes, the look goofy.
  • happytree923
    happytree923 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I like my Jabra true wireless earbuds. They're specifically for physical activity so they're sweat and water resistant. That was the main reason I got them over AirPods but when they die I will probably get AirPods because the Jabra ones are a little too bulky for my dainty ears and I use Apple products anyway so the pairing will be easier. True wireless will be expensive no matter what.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I have these Senso earphones and absolutely love them. Almost no wind noise unlike others I have tried and they stay put.

https://smile.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Headphones-Waterproof-Sweatproof-Cancelling/dp/B01G8JO5F2/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1538332198&sr=8-9&keywords=bluetooth+earphones
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

I looked into those but was turned off by the consistently poor user reviews on several sites.

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Samsung Gear Iconx. Truly wireless and with ~3.5gb of storage so I can run without my big *kitten* phone (Samsung S9+).

They don't work so hot with apple stuff as you really can't control them as well.

My only beef with them is the volume control is really tricky and I usually just use the phone to set the volume and then don't change it on my run.

They stay in my ears better than anything else I've tried (iSport, Beats etc.) sound decent and I've found if I just run with one, I can get my tunes on and not be oblivious to what's going on around me (damn some bikers are quiet).

Liked them so much I bought my wife a pair.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    FL_Hiker wrote: »
    Hi there,
    Been using my old apple headphones that came with my phone for running and they finally bit the dust. I'm thinking of trying wireless next. What are your favorite wireless headphones for running? Pros & cons?
    Thanks!

I bought these ones pretty recently, and really like them so far.
    http://a.co/d/ivTWDuQ

You need to wear both for full control (single tap either = play/pause; double tap left = vol down, right=vol up; triple tap left=rev, right=fwd). No issues with these ones as far as recognizing whether I'm trying to use 1 or both (I only wear one when cycling or running with a more sociable group). I can't speak for the full battery life - I've only used a few times and have charged between uses (.. returning to the case (which holds more than 1 charge worth) recharges them. Single earpiece lasts at least a 2hr ride (haven't used them on any longer activities yet). They are by far my most comfortable that I've used as well - don't feel like they are going to fall out. I can't speak for relative sound quality either - I'm not picky there (being able to use 1 earpiece without it being a P.I.T.A. is by far a much higher priority criterium for me).

ETA: to clarify, the controls on the earpiece you are using will work correctly when only using one (but you obviously won't have access to the other controls). ie, you can pause/play/vol+/fwd but not vol-/rev with only the right earpiece in and connected).
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

this.

I used the aelec ones (current listing here: http://a.co/d/aAllpdY) ($15-20) for a long time (wire between the 2 pieces...all controls are on the right earpiece). Using only 1 was annoying for me (had to wind and clip the left earpiece in my hair - and it didn't always stay well when running/was a hassle when removing/replacing helmet) - and decided to upgrade. I found the wire annoying enough even when using both, that I usually clipped it into my hair and off my neck. Their life was shortened by my stepping on them while changing in my car after a run. I only tested the replacement once (http://a.co/d/5jWKwcd, $10) so I can't speak for their quality. They connected with no issues, have all my required controls in my preferred layout (both +,- and play/pause/multi buttons on right earpiece), and fit better than the aelec ones did. (I ordered them for in case the full wireless ones I mentioned in previous post didn't work out - I didn't want to be without for more time).
  • Kalex1975
    Kalex1975 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I've been using the Bose SoundSport Pulse for over a year... they have fantastic sound and has a built-in heart rate monitor. They are expensive but worth it IMHO.
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I like open-ear, bone conduction headphones for running (I use the Aftershokz Trekz Titanium). They don't go in your ear, but press on the side of your head just in front of your ears. The nice thing about them is that since they don't block your ears, you still can hear your surroundings.
  • klovesd84
    klovesd84 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I love my Beats X wireless earbuds. They are my favourite headphones of my life. I love that the earbuds are connected and I can hang them around my neck, and that they are magnetic so they stay together and are secure. They connect easily to my iPhone or Apple Watch. The sound is fantastic. They actually stay in my ear and are sooo comfortable. I can charge them for only five minutes and get two hours of playtime if I forget to charge them up ahead of time. That being said they have 8 hours of charge life, so I can use 4-5 typically between charges. I think they are my best fitness investment other than my beloved Apple Watch.

My husband has the wireless Apple ones and I borrowed them occasionally before my Beats. They would fall out frequently; therefore, were distracting. They would disconnect two or three times per walk to the gym. They made my ears sore after an hour. I’d walk to the gym. Take a class and when I’d put them in to walk home, my ears would be noticeably sore. They are just too large for my small ears. They were also, in my opinion, pretty ugly. I thought they were more trouble than they were worth. My husband loves them though, but he is loyal to Apple products. To each their own.

If something happened to my beats, I’d buy another set immediately.
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    FL_Hiker wrote: »

Oh wow thanks for the info, I didn't realize there was another option. I just ordered the Soundpeats, there was a coupon and they looked good :), can't wait to try them out!

Update on the SoundPeats, after two short runs they won't turn on anymore, I even used the correct amp charger. Total cheap piece of *kitten*, don't recommend I'm returning them tomorrow.