Arugula?

jjliljj
jjliljj Posts: 1 Member
Does anyone have a healthy recipe for a salad with arugula? The only one I know has pasta and pesto and that's not healthy! And I also don't like fruit in my salads but tired of boring salads!
Thank you

Replies

• PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    There's a local place by me that makes a delicious salad of arugula, halved grape tomatoes, Italian black olives (Gaeta?), shaved parmesan, and pignoli/pine nuts. The dressing seems to be lemon juice and olive oil. It's delicious!

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,589 Member
    Tagliata di manzo is a classic use.

https://thehappyfoodie.co.uk/recipes/tagliata-di-manzo
  • FrostysHouse
    FrostysHouse Posts: 20 Member
    edited October 2018
    I typically have a container of arugula/spinach mix in the fridge (it stays fresh much longer than other mixed greens). I don't always make salads, specifically, but I often throw a handful into bowls with grain/protein/veggies, or combine them with roasted potatoes and some yogurt and herb dressing. A pile of arugula topped with some sliced steak or roasted chicken is nice; the fresh greens will wilt a little and be seasoned by the warm meat.

One delicious autumn salad: Red quinoa (the color's not critical, but it looks prettier), arugula and/or spinach, chopped apples, dried cranberries, toasted walnuts, and a vinaigrette with walnut oil, sherry vinegar, and a little dijon mustard and maple syrup. Sometimes I add cubed roasted butternut squash or sweet potato, which would be a good sub for the fruit if you don't want it. It keeps well, and is a great fresh side dish for Thanksgiving.
  • brisadeldesierto
    brisadeldesierto Posts: 41 Member
    I love arugula! I eat it like 3-4 times a week.

One of my favorite salads is arugula, cherry tomatoes, small pieces of blue cheese and, if I have, the small & tender beet leaves (raw). For dressing I make a basic vinagrette with balsamic vinagre and olive oil.

I make variations on this salad depending on what I have. I sometimes add bits of walnuts or black olives, or use brie/bocconcini cheese instead of blue cheese, or use sundried tomatoes instead of fresh.

I also love arugula on top of a pizza. My healthy pizza recipe consists of a thin whole weat flour pizza base, then lots of tomatos and oregano, small amounts of cheese and black olives, and once it's out of the oven, a mountain of fresh arugula. Mhh...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    If I have it on hand, I just add it to my spring mix greens for any old salad I make...

That said, I don't think there's anything inherently unhealthy about pasta and pesto...I eat both regularly.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    jjliljj wrote: »
    Does anyone have a healthy recipe for a salad with arugula? The only one I know has pasta and pesto and that's not healthy! And I also don't like fruit in my salads but tired of boring salads!
    Thank you

There's nothing unhealthy about pasta and pesto! It is calorie dense but personally I just fit that into my calorie allowance.
    We call arugula, rocket in the UK, I use it in salads, piled on top of pizzas, in sandwiches - basically I use it instead of lettuce/spinach as it's far more flavoursome. it's great with balsamic dressing on and some crunchy veggies. It's best eaten raw rather than wilted like you would with spinach.
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Argula, fresh figs, goat cheese and good balsamic.
  • germangirl2007
    germangirl2007 Posts: 31 Member
    I have made an amazing pasta with arugula, asparagus, crumbled bacon, lemon juice and salt and pepper. Super light and delicious!
  • jpnestler
    jpnestler Posts: 2 Member
    Ninkasi wrote: »
    Arugula is my favorite green. My go-to salad is arugula with chopped walnuts, crumbled blue cheese, and a chopped up pear. Sometimes I add a shredded slice of prosciutto also. Figs can be substituted for the pear. Dressing is a very basic vinaigrette made with walnut oil.

Co-sign this one. This combination really changes the "boring salad" dynamic. You can also throw in some avocado and hemp seeds to boost the protein and vary the consistency so it doesn't get old.

• AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Terrific ideas!
  • hklu22
    hklu22 Posts: 4 Member
    Arugala, roasted beets, red onion, candied walnuts and feta with balsamic dressing.
  • fairlane2
    fairlane2 Posts: 1 Member
    Arugula, apple, celery
  • Roasted beets, goat cheese, arugula, dried blueberries, walnuts, all stirred together warm, you'll be happy you did.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    solieco1 wrote: »
    Argula, fresh figs, goat cheese and good balsamic.

This one would be my best friend!
    Arugula is the best green ever!
  • OddDitty
    OddDitty Posts: 248 Member
    Arugula on a grilled meat sandwich of any kind!
  • westees
    westees Posts: 1 Member
    Arugula tossed in olive oil with parmesean cheese on top.