Lat pain from a tight bra band?

Options
I've been having muscle pain from just beneath my right shoulder blade. It started up really bad on Friday, and eased just a bit yesterday. My internet searches seem to indicate that the pain is right about where the latissimus dorsi muscle attaches to the ribs. I think I must have somehow done something to that lat attachment, but I can't remember having done anything more upper-body-intensive than a gentle walk.

A couple of the sites I saw said that sometimes a tight bra band can cause pain in that spot, but without giving any references or links to further info. I'm between band sizes right now, and the bra I was wearing the day before the pain was the smaller size. And the pain is right under where my bra band hits.

Has anyone here ever had trouble with lat pain from a bra band, or even heard of it?

Replies

• Evelyn_Gorfram
    Evelyn_Gorfram Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Still hurts today, but less. I'm putting that bra in time-out for the time being.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Still hurts today, but less. I'm putting that bra in time-out for the time being.

I hate getting to work only to realize I'm wearing a bra I hate. Best to get it out of rotation if it is the culprit!
  • joyinjesus1
    joyinjesus1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    why do we as wemon kill ourselfs with tight shoes bras heavy pocket books tight jeans all bad on circulation and joints and yes tight bra bad circulation and can cause pain
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    You may have just pulled a muscle though, see how it goes then try the bra again.

If it is your bra, you can buy bra extenders. I quite often use them on new bras that are a bit tight until they have stretched a bit.

@joyinjesus1 I totally agree. I spent many years in pain from corns from tight shoes, painful feet from high shoes, those ugly red lines from tight bras. I now go for comfort. Skechers and bra extenders are my new best friends :)

• sophiaeleanora
    sophiaeleanora Posts: 28 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    You know what? All my life I had pains in my trapz and around the shoulderblades. Couldn't figure it out, tried everything. Until one day a couple of years ago, I just realized it might be my bras? Sports bras especially. Since that day I have never worn a bra! At most a relatively tight tank top for support, as I have (though pulled up) in my profile pic. My muscles are no way near as tense as they used to be. I'm a 32D / 34C and there is no problem to go without! Hope you can do the same or find some other solution!
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,933 Member
    Options
    I dont know the answer, but I suggest buying a bra band extender for you smaller bra if you're between sizes. They're ~$6 at most bra stores. Just bring that bra with you so you know the hook spacing is right
  • Evelyn_Gorfram
    Options
    VUA21 wrote: »
    why do we as wemon kill ourselfs with tight shoes bras heavy pocket books tight jeans all bad on circulation and joints and yes tight bra bad circulation and can cause pain

I don't.

Go to shoes: Van's
    Dress up shoes: Really funky Lara Vita flats

Bras: sport or bralette (NO EFFIN' UNDERWIRE!!!) If the girls "need support", I'll give them moral support and tell them how great they are, but not going to cause myself pain.

Jeans go to: Levi's 501 button fly, 100% cotton. If not clean, jeans I can comfortable but my hands in my pockets, they fit.

Pocket books/purse: Wallet. Backpack for school.
    You know what? All my life I had pains in my trapz and around the shoulderblades. Couldn't figure it out, tried everything. Until one day a couple of years ago, I just realized it might be my bras? Sports bras especially. Since that day I have never worn a bra! At most a relatively tight tank top for support, as I have (though pulled up) in my profile pic. My muscles are no way near as tense as they used to be. I'm a 32D / 34C and there is no problem to go without! Hope you can do the same or find some other solution!
    Go without an underwire? ...Oh, would that I could. Whenever I go to take the pencil test, I might as well use a typewriter. ;)

At 44-42DDD(F), going without an underwire hurts worse than going with. My sports bras have underwires. I can't remember the last time I was able to go with out an underwire, but it might have before I was old enough to vote (in Reagan v. Carter).

And it may not get that much better. Last time I was at goal weight (around the time I was voting in Clinton v. Bush), I took a 38DD - a 36DDD when I could find one. And "the girls" have not perkified over the last six election cycles.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    If your bra hurts, then it doesn’t fit. I strongly recommend using bratabase.com to get not only your proper bra measurements, but also recommendations for bra styles for your shape. Life is too short for uncomfortable bras.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I hope it's not a big problem. It could also be a pinched nerve in your spine. I can sleep wrong and get that. Though last time I did it was from pulling so huge weeds that I had no business pulling, at my fitness level of "no lats". It took a couple of weeks, lots of ibuprofen, and finally carefully rolling my spine on one of the supersized tennis balls for dogs, before it popped back where it should be. If I had access to a chiropractor easily I would have just gone in.
  • Evelyn_Gorfram
    edited October 2018
    Options
    The pain is no longer improving (maybe getting worse), and I haven't worn a bra since Friday. Tried an online symptom checker, which (like so often happens) turned up with something super scary: cholecystitis/gallbladder attack.

Apparently, gallbladder pain is usually in the front upper abdomen, but sometimes turns up just below the right shoulder blade. The area is pretty tender, which I had assumed was due to me having bruised it during self-massage, and that's my only other symptom. No nausea (although appetite's been a bit low), vomiting, fever, bloating, jaundice, or bowel changes.

Doctor's office opens in five hours, and I'll call them then and asked whether I should be worried. It's probably not anything that dramatic, just an over-compressed muscle like I thought it was.

Right?
    Yup, I was being over-dramatic. Went to urgent care because the pain was driving me bugnuts, and the doc says it's just a knotted muscle. B)

He also said there's no real telling what caused it. He prescribed self-massage with a tennis ball, and the passage of an unspecified amount of time. :|

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    The pain is no longer improving (maybe getting worse), and I haven't worn a bra since Friday. Tried an online symptom checker, which (like so often happens) turned up with something super scary: cholecystitis/gallbladder attack.

Apparently, gallbladder pain is usually in the front upper abdomen, but sometimes turns up just below the right shoulder blade. The area is pretty tender, which I had assumed was due to me having bruised it during self-massage, and that's my only other symptom. No nausea (although appetite's been a bit low), vomiting, fever, bloating, jaundice, or bowel changes.

Doctor's office opens in five hours, and I'll call them then and asked whether I should be worried. It's probably not anything that dramatic, just an over-compressed muscle like I thought it was.

Right?
    Yup, I was being over-dramatic. Went to urgent care because the pain was driving me bugnuts, and the doc says it's just a knotted muscle. B)

He also said there's no real telling what caused it. He prescribed self-massage with a tennis ball, and the passage of an unspecified amount of time. :|

Thanks for the update! Glad it wasn't your gallbladder!

Another vote for bra extenders. They are cheap at Walmart.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options

Right?

Thank goodness. Here's a link to the 4" dog tennis ball I use. Petsport USA 70100 4" Tuff Balls Pet Tennis Ball https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005ZOOO12/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_SeWSBbS4E3YXM

It appears some newer models/ brands may have a speaker so read the specs lol.
  • Evelyn_Gorfram
    Options

Right?

Thank goodness. Here's a link to the 4" dog tennis ball I use. Petsport USA 70100 4" Tuff Balls Pet Tennis Ball https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005ZOOO12/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_SeWSBbS4E3YXM

It appears some newer models/ brands may have a speaker so read the specs lol.

(if I did get one with a squeaker, it could be a good way to drive my cat nuts... ;) )