Fat-soluble Vitamin A

Options
Hi guys & gals - I have a question for the nutrition-savvy among us.

I read that Vitamin A is fat-soluble, so you need to eat fat along with it to get the full benefit. How much fat is required? And would fish oil pills count, taking into account the amount of oil and where in the digestive system they're dissolved?

I've been taking 2 fish oil pills with 2 scoops green powder (mixed in with frozen bananas, it's like a green Frosty!). Wondering if I'm getting the full benefit of the Vitamin A. Many thanks!

Replies

• stefjc
    stefjc Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    ADEK are all fat soluble so you will always need fat in your diet.

The amount varies from person to person. As long as you eat some fat you will be OK. The RDA is 70g total fat for women, 95g for men - or 20% of overall intake.

http://www.healthcalculators.org/calculators/fat.asp

Try this, it is probably as accurate as any other calc.
  • heykatieben
    heykatieben Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Nice, thanks stefjc! Anyone know anything about when the vitamins are processed, vs. when a gelcap will dissolve? Presumably designed to be the same time, right?
  • stefjc
    stefjc Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    You really don't need to consider that as, unlike water soluble vitamins, your body stores ADEK for a while in the liver and fatty tissue to be used as needed.
  • heykatieben
    heykatieben Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Oh, good to know. So that's why juicing works, I wondered about that. Thanks!