pros and cons of weight loss

Options
I am now three or four years into losing weight with MFP and have lost 160lbs, gained a bit and started again! I am now down about 120lbs from my original starting point and have been mulling over the whole roller coaster. There are, of course, many many advantages of being a better weight but also some downsides. For me these are:

Pro: Fitter and healthier than I have ever been Con: actually can't think of one for this!
Pro: I have bought several completely new wardrobes in a range of sizes Con: Same
Pro: I eat more healthily and know the calorie value of everything Con: I envy people who just eat what they want when they want it, like I used to at 300lbs plus
Pro: I can cope with sunshine Con: I am always cold
Pro: People compliment me on the weight loss Con: People say stop now, you're getting skinny
Pro: I look much better in clothes Con: I have about 3 acres of loose baggy skin everywhere which isn't going to go

What are your pros and cons?

Replies

• peggym4640
    peggym4640 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Pro - being more active and having more energy
    Con - friends who like happy hour and going out

Keeping those friends but am making new ones who like to do what I now enjoy!
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    pro: tight small body most places that looks great in clothes
    con: tube sock boobs and loose skin on my thighs/stomach/arms xD
  • saggyandbaggy
    saggyandbaggy Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    the boobs! yes!!
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    There are so many pros; I will just summarize with increased odds of living a long and healthy life. I am getting old enough where that is a big concern.

Cons are mostly money - Replacing clothes. I am more active and many activities cost money - gym membership, SUP and related equipment and I burn more gas going more places.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,300 Member
    Options
    Pros: looking like my old self again, feeling healthy, and being happy I no longer look fat.

Cons: 1. a little bit of aging on my neck..but it is getting better and I'm working on that.
    2. Buying new clothes .. is actually difficult, because styles have changed since I was thin and you have to change your mindset from wearing camouflaging clothes to figure flattering current styles. Combine that with vanity sizing and skinny dressing room mirrors.. you get home and what you thought would look good doesn't. I don't like to complain about this because it sounds ungrateful.... but you'd think it would be a bit more fun, or easier.
    3. I don't think this is a con.. but a reality.. That after the weight is gone, the next step is to build muscle and define..so the journey will continues with strength and fitness goals that I'm sure will never go away.
  • Heidijens123
    Heidijens123 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Pro: I can play sports without running out of breathe or looking huge on the court.
    Con: I got asked to coach the yourh volleyball team at church. Only a con because I'm already busy.

Pro: My clothes fit better.
    Con: pretty soon my favorite pants won't fit although that might be a pro sense I can get some new favorite pants.

Pro: I feel better not eating a ton of junk food.
    Con: I can't just eat a whole share size of caramel M&Ms without a second thought.

Pro: I know if I keep on this path I will end up being able to keep up with my kids and (someday) grandkids .
    Con: It's going to be a long path.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,034 Member
    Options
    I didnt have a lot of weight to lose so no huge before and after differences.

Pros. body looks better - although this is subjective. But even 10 kg difference on a small woman means I lost that pudgy look.
    Big pro = body is in healthy BMI range and long term health advantages

Cons -some clothes I really liked no longer fit.
  • wmweeza
    wmweeza Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Pros:I wear smaller sizes and get to shop all the time!
    Con: I had to replace all my clothing...I mean EVERYTHING and I keep discovering stuff that doesn't fit anymore. Next I have to replace my bras and coats. I've lost weight in my feet even. Unlike some of you I love shopping, but even for me this is getting ridiculous! I quit shopping retail though and now shop at thrift and consignment stores.

Pro: My butt is smaller!
    Con: I have to use seat pads if I sit anywhere but a couch, I'm not used to being without extra padding so it hurts to sit for even a few minutes.

Pro: My face looks slimmer
    Con:My skin now sags a bit on my face, so I look older

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Being slim I love, but looking older, that part sucks :/ and that's just with a 30lb loss and it was lost very slowly.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,045 Member
    Options
    I'm not sad any more. I take care of myself.

It's worth it.

Yesterday I saw my neighbor up close who I've known for 20 years, but who mostly only goes from her door to her car which is about 20 feet. I think she weighs very close to 400 pounds now and she has trouble with four steps out of her condo. I was very sad for her and said a little prayer.